wedding licenses and officiants

Posted by zoe 
zoe
wedding licenses and officiants
March 10, 2009 04:53PM
I am planning a destination wedding in Central Park, and I have two concerns.

1) is it difficult to get through the clerk's office? i have heard that there can be long lines, and I am a little worried about getting the license. Anyone have any tips?

2) does anyone know a good officiant? I'm not a stickler for tradition, but I don't want a weirdo, either. someone a little bit cynical and bored would be perfect.

thank you!
Hi there Zoe
I would be more than happy to help you. Please check out my website http://www.nyweddingclergy.com I custom craft wedding ceremonies that are beautiful personal and always unique.

I do live in NYC so I am readily available for meetings and to help you navigate through the whole wonderful experience.

If you go in the morning most find City Hall to be a pretty easy experience.

Feel free to email me at revalison@nyweddingclergy.com
Re: wedding licenses and officiants
March 18, 2009 04:59PM
HI Zoe -- Here you go:

If you don't need your license immediately after your wedding, (if you aren't going on a honeymoon immediately, or you aren't changing your name and your passport) then you can get your license in Brooklyn or even at Staten Island (have fun - take the ferry!) The Brooklyn office is pretty fast, except on Fridays when the Orthodox come to get their licenses. It's also just 2 stops on the A, 2/3, R, 4, 5 - you come Brooklyn BRIDGE and you'll come out right in Cadman plaza, a short walk to Borough Hall and the license borough. Have fun! Make a youtube video of you walking over the bridge to get your marriage license <grin>.

Most of the time, the marriage officiant will file the license for you after the wedding, and you'll get it in the mail in a few weeks. This spring, couples I have married have been waiting a bit longer - up to 8 weeks. You CAN get your license immediately on the next working day after the wedding, by going back to the license bureau - but ONLY if you apply at the Manhattan Bureau on Worth Street. Their new office in the fancy Tweed Courthouse IS slow, but they open at 8:30 - just get there early in the day and early in the week and you'll be OK. THEY CLOSE PROMPTLY at 3:45. You can also apply online AND PAY in advance (up to 20 days) which cuts out a bit of time. Here is the link to apply online:
[www.cityclerk.nyc.gov]

When you arrive, you'll stand in a couple of lines, and then you will be asked to approve your license as it reads on the monitor. Once they print it, you can be married exactly 24 hours from the minute they time-stamp it. Most people get in and out in an hour - but the lines get very long after 2pm. Be sure to bring copies of any previous marriage settlements (divorce, etc.), and proper ID.
There are thousands of marriage officiants in NY, be sure you ask for their license numbers, and call city hall to make sure they're registered. Ask them to send sample ceremonies for you to read in advance, and tell them how you wish to personalize your ceremonies. The average cost of a personal ceremony these days seems to be $295-350 - so make sure you aren't paying more - there are some truly price-inflated services out there. Ask for references, etc. and you'll be fine.
Happy wedding! Mary

[WeddingsofNewYork.com]
[elopenewyork.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 10?
Online Users

Guests: 6