inner-city high schools in new york

Posted by BJ 
BJ
inner-city high schools in new york
February 22, 2009 04:38AM
hi my name is BJ. I'm a Korean and i am probably going to move to New York where
my aunt lives and finish my high school there (i'm a 10 th grader righ now) i am
embarrassed but i am expelled from my previous high school for fighting and shit and my aunt tells me i won't be able to go to a good public high school or a private school. She tells me probably im gna hav to go to a inner-city school or somethin where it's mostly african american or latino students. i mean i do hav many black friends but they are mostly african not african americans. I'm rly worried how im gna fit in... like rly rly worried i hav no friend livin in new york except my aunt so pleaz somebody help how im gna fit (btw my aunt lives in manhattan and that's all i know).
What part of Manhattan does your aunt live in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 09:28AM by askanewyorker.
BJ
Re: inner-city high schools in new york
February 23, 2009 07:43AM
i rly rly dont know but she said somethin about near west side of manhattan but she said where she lives is perfectly safe.
February 23, 2009 03:56PM
If it's the Upper West Side of Manhattan the public high schools are not bad. That is her address?
BJ
February 26, 2009 07:04AM
she said high schools in westside of manhattan she said somethin about harlem too... isn't harlem bad? like she said she went to see the principal so she can turn in my documents for application and she said it was like 90percent african american school
If you end up going to the same high school my mother went to back in the 1970s well then you had better be a black belt in some kind of martial arts

You are most defintely gonna need to use it on an almost daily basis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 09:27AM by askanewyorker.
February 27, 2009 02:54PM
BJ

When I was in jr. high my family moved to a different school district and right across the street from my new school. There was always talk of race riots and fights at the new school ( same yr Martin Luther King was killed) and so I used my grandma's address to go continue at my old school which was more of a melting pot. After the first semester, they found me out, and I HAD to go to the new school. I would leave my house one minute before the bell rang, go home for lunch, and go straight home from school. Never talking to anyone. I made one more attempt to go back to my old school and once I was found out again, I knew I would have to change my attitude.

I am happy to say I fell into a group of friends who are lifelong friends. Here is the advice I give my exchange students - if you see someone you recognize, catch their eye and smile, even if you don't know their name. Say hi. At your age, kids are not looking to expand their circle of friends, so keep your ears open and if you hear someone talking about something you enjoy, put your 2 cents in, or ask if you can join them if they are planning on going somewher. Join a club or something. Ask yourself what your strengths and interests are, and try to find kids interesed in the same. Best of luck to you!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 12