TIPPING IN MANHATTAN??

Posted by Lulu 
TIPPING IN MANHATTAN??
February 13, 2009 03:11AM
HI, IM TRAVELLING TO NYC FROM SYDNEY. I LOVE NY BUT ON MY LAST TRIP FOUND THE WHOLE TIPPING THING REALLY STRESSFUL. WOULD APPRECIATE A LOCALS INPUT ON TIPPING IN MANHATTAN. WHO TO TIP AND HOW MUCH IE. TAXI, HOTEL STAFF, PORTER AT THE TRAIN STATION, HAIRDRESSER, RESTAURANTS ETC.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Red
Re: TIPPING IN MANHATTAN??
February 13, 2009 06:07AM
The easy rule is "15-20%, or a dollar a bag." So restaurants, hairdressers, taxis, whatever, 15-20%. Porters, skycaps, anyone handling bags, a dollar a bag.
February 14, 2009 12:49AM
If you want an easy way to figure it out, tip double the amount of any tax you pay in restaurants. That will come to approximately 16%. The dollar a bag is also fine.
Due to the recent downturn in the economy you might also want to keep a few extra dollars on you just in case you happen to cross paths with a mugger.

Though I may be mistaken, I believe the proper term for it back in the days was "Mugger Money"

Oracle?
February 14, 2009 10:23AM
What?
February 14, 2009 11:27AM
Oracle sometimes he dribbles well other times he throws air balls smiling smiley
What?

You are from New York City and you have never heard of that term before?

I learned about it from my mother.

She has plenty of stories of NYC from back in the days when economic times were hard and when taking a simple walk down the city streets meant one had to pay attention to their surroundings as opposed to yapping away on a cell phone or drowning out the outside world with one's IPOD like many people do today.

She also remembers the last time the KNICKS won an NBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. smiling smiley

February 14, 2009 03:20PM
KnicksBasketballNY--could you please stop posting nonsense on this forum.
February 14, 2009 05:01PM
In bars the tip is usually a dollar a drink.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 19?
Online Users

Guests: 7