where to start in greenwich village ?

Posted by val 
val
where to start in greenwich village ?
January 20, 2009 11:11AM
This spring I am taking a daytrip to Greenwich Village. Any suggestions on where to start. Not interested in museums just strolling around the village going into shops and looking for a nice cafe to have lunch. I like to take photos of the unique homes and streets, and stores and of course glancing at the people walking around looking for any celebs. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. I want to make the most out of my day not just walking up & down the same streets looking confused with my map.
Re: where to start in greenwich village ?
January 20, 2009 12:15PM
Personally I like to stroll along West Fourth....Just a wonderful walk over to Hudson Street....White Horse Tavern, St Lukes garden is right in the area off of Grove...the thrift shop is a classic.

Favorite book store!
[www.askanewyorker.com]

Re: romantic spots
Posted by: villagemon (pool-71-183-82-194.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 03, 2008 08:43AM

Grab a bottle of wine, loaf of bread, apple and cheese and go to the park along the Hudson River starting around Christopher St in the Village and going north or south. 5pm to 8:30 pm. This is on the river side of the West Side Highway and at Christopher St there are some great piers jutting into the river. You can stroll all the way down to Battery Park taking in the sunset and the bikers, bladers, runners, etc. Plenty of places to relax along the way. 1&9 Christopher St exit. Walk west to the river. Note: can't recommend Christopher piers after dark for quiet romance. Gets pretty rowdy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 12:47PM by askanewyorker.
January 20, 2009 01:25PM
[ontheinside.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2009 06:30PM by askanewyorker.
January 28, 2009 12:05AM
Greenwich Village Food & Cultural Tour
Posted by: jeans (69.43.129.---)
Date: May 09, 2008 06:41PM

Last Sunday I took this tour and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mostly because the guide..an older guy who had lived in the Village for years...was so entertaining, funny and knowledgeable. I've wandered around the Village many times...followed a guidebook once, but to see it from the eyes of a local and to hear stories of residents, was very entertaining. The tour was operated by Food Tours of New York, the same outfit that also does the Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District tour that I went on last October.

Pricey, but worth it.
Villager
January 28, 2009 11:35AM
You can start at Bleecker Street and Bank Street (or West 12th) or even at Magnolia Bakery and work your way down Bleecker Street going east. There are shops, cafes, antique stores, boutiques, and lots to see in the village on Bleecker Street (I was born and grew up around there). Just walk down Bleecker Street and on both sides of the street you'll see all the little shops and whatnot. Lots of people watching too if you stop into a cafe along the way. Rocco's Pastry store has the best pastries, at Faicco's you can buy any Italian specialty food, Murray's Cheese Shop has the best cheeses. Along MacDougal Street and Sullivan Street you will see a bunch of different cafes and coffee houses. Boutiques also. Enjoy !
Val
February 19, 2009 08:17PM
villager-Thank you for the information. It is especially helpful coming from someone who grew up in the area. I will take your advice and start at magnolia bakery and walk the path of bleeker street. I am looking forward to what my eyes will see. If I may ask you one more piece of advice, which subway station is closest to magnolia's ?

Val
February 20, 2009 06:17AM
#1 to Christopher street
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 3