Visiting New York in February - Weather and Shopping

Posted by Mariana Whitehead 
I will visit New York with my fiance in February.
We will arrive on Feb6th and leave on Feb14th.

I have some questions:

1) How cold is it in February? Does it snow at that time of the year?
2) Can you tell me where I can buy cheap winter clothes as soon as I get to NY? Im from a hot country and Im afraid my winter clothes wont be enough...
I know Century 21st but it is kind of far from my hotel (55th ave).
3) Is it a good time for shopping? It's Valentine's Day week... Are there any famous sales?

Thank you!!!!
Can anybody help me?
Re: Visiting New York in February - Weather and Shopping
January 03, 2009 04:41PM
hi.... i will try to help you.
altho i am not from NYC, i do visit quite a bit, and i just visited there a little over a week ago and it was FREEZING!!!! it will be cold in february. i wore basically just layers of warm clothes. fleece is nice, along with a some sort of wind breaker. but don't go to crazy because once you are inside shopping, you will be sweating and will want to peel some layers off. you will definitely want a scarf which is what really kept me warm, and possibly a hat, ear muffs and absolutely gloves!!!! but since you might not have these items around where you live since you live in a hot climate you can go to macy's for warm clothes. probably alot of shops will have warm clothing. and there are always plenty of NYC sweatshirts in the souvenir shops and as for gloves, hats, scarves and ear muffs..... well they were available from many vendors selling them on the street. and pretty cheap too. warm boots/socks will help too. i hope this was helpful..... have a great time. i am jealous. i miss it already and it has only been 10 days since i left. sad smiley
Hi Mariana,

1. It gets pretty cold in early February and might snow but honestly, it seems to snow most in January though it's been known to blizzard in April one day and 60 degrees the next. Dressing in layers is a good idea.

2. Not sure where on 55th St you'll be staying but there are 2 H&M department stores within walking distance of most hotels in midtown:
a. H&M on 5th Ave between 51st & 52nd St
b. H&M on Lexington Ave between 58th & 59th St

3. There are usually sales on President's Day which is on Monday 2/15 this year. It's likely that you might just catch the beginning of the sale on the 14th. If you have or apply for credit cards at major department stores, they may discount you further.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 22?
Online Users

Guests: 8