Should I or shouldn't I?

Posted by purpleplum 
Oracle?
Re: Should I or shouldn't I?
December 16, 2008 10:13AM
Congratulations! I totally agree with ES... don't eat in your hotel room. New Yorkers dine out alone all the time, it's no big deal.
December 20, 2008 10:36PM
OHHH NOOO!!!!
i am suppose to leave for NYC tomorrow morning and i might not be able to make it because of the fricken snow!!!!! i am so upset! i am taking a peter pan bus and i won't know till the morning if the buses will be running. not to mention i will be charged a night for the hotel on my credit card since i didn't cancel. i am bummed. i am so sick of new england weather. ahhhhhh.
December 20, 2008 11:00PM
Yes, you should go (if the snow doesn't prevent you!).

I have gone a few times by myself and have had a very good time. It is just fun to have a few places to go and just take in the sights and sounds.
Found a wonderful restaurant in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn called "Gino's Foccaccieria" and can't wait to go back and try the food again. It was fantastic. Also, having the freedom to change your mind where u want to go and just do whatever you want is great.
December 23, 2008 08:16AM
......so, how did it go??
December 28, 2008 01:30PM
SORRY! I MEANT TO WRITE THIS SOONER!!!!

so... i got to the bus station early in the morning and it was really snowing.... bus thankfully the buses were still running. kudos to the bus driver because it was really hard to see with the snow coming down so hard. but once we hit new york, it wasn't snowing any longer and it was just raining. i got on the bus at 8:15 am, and by 12:30 pm i was in nyc and already checked into my hotel room. i was excited!!!! i was finally in NEW YORK CITY!!!
(ok here i have to stop to thank everyone that responded to my initial post because i truly was not sure if i should go by myself... but not for one moment that i was there did i regret being by myself. it was FANTASTIC!!! i have been to NYC many times, but always with a friend..... and honestly i don't want to go with another person ever again. i had more fun by myself).
so i hung out in my hotel room for about 1/2 hour than i bundled up (it was very cold) and headed out to the city streets. (my absolute favorite part about staying in NYC is when you leave the hotel, step out into the street and instantly you are in the middle of the insaneness that is new york and you are now a part of it). so i started walking and i walked thru times square and headed to rockefeller center. saw the amazing tree, than headed to 5th ave to check out the sights there. did some shopping. dodged the crowds. (there had to be a billion people there just on 5th ave. smiling smiley well it felt like it..... anyways, i wanted to go to FAO schwartz but there was a huge line of people waiting to get in, so i didn't bother. i have been there many times before so i didn't mind skipping it. so i headed back down 5th, and basically just walked around for a bit..... than after a couple hours i went back to my room to warm up. did i mention how cold it was????
that night i went shopping in times square, and i know it is very touristy but i absolutely love times square at night!!! it is amazing. and this is right about when i realized how happy i was that i was with just me. i didn't have to wait for anyone to finish their cigarette ( i am a non smoker, and this is very annoying to me), if i was done looking around i just left instead of standing at the door waiting for my friend to finish looking around. and also i am a very fast walker, and i didn't have to keep slowing down so people could catch up to me.... it was just great!!!!
the next morning i decided to brave the now freezing cold and went to the today show. i have done this a few times before but i never get sick of doing it. it really is so much fun, and exciting!!!! and the celebrity guest collecting toys for the toy drive was dustin hoffman. he stood right in front of me, he looked great!!! i stuck around for awhile, but at the 9am hour i was completely numb in pain caz i was soooo cold, so i decided to go back to my room and warm up.
than i headed over toward macy's, the manhattan mall which was a waste caz they are remodeling and annoying to walk thru, and than i just started walking down streets i never have been down before. i kinda stumbled apon bryant park which i was really excited about because i am a huge fan of project runway!!!! go christian! and there was a buncha little huts there like little stores. so i poked around there for a bit, and walked around some more. i kept getting stopped by people asking me to take their pictures or asking me for directions which is when i was really proud of myself because i was knew where to tell them to go. and after like 5 hours i went back to, yup... to warm up caz it is really really cold.
and after all that i basically just walked around, shopped, ate, back to hotel, slept and before i knew it, it was time to go home. boo hoo. it went by soooo fast. too fast. but i had the BEST time!!!! i can't wait to do it again.
THANK YOU NEW YORK CITY!!!! .... TILL WE MEET AGAIN! smiling smiley
December 29, 2008 07:17AM
Well done you!!! See, I told you it was going to be easy!!!

It looks like you had a fabulous time!

Out of interest, how did you get on with eating out? Was it as hard as you thought it might be??
December 30, 2008 10:19PM
aww....well, i didn't eat in a restaurant by myself i must admit. but when i walked around for hours and than was heading back to my room, thats when i realized that i was hungry and i just wanted to get to my room to relax a little so i did bring back food to my room each time. but it was just fine with me.... on the block of my hotel alone there was MANY places to choose from. i had panini's, and great pizza and pasta from right across the street. yummy bagel's and juniors cheese cake was around the corner from my hotel, a 2 min walk so i splurged on that one night. it was great. food is absolutely one of my favorite things about NYC. can't get food like that here, back home.
December 31, 2008 02:14AM
Hi...I'm so glad you went and had a good time...thanks for letting us know! I ALWAYS cover more ground when solo.

The only thing I would have done differently (besides going in JUNE) is, instead of going back to my room to thaw out, I'd find a nice warm BAR and wrap my frozen hands around a hot buttered Brandy! Oh yeah!
December 31, 2008 06:56PM
So glad you did it and it all worked out.

I agree with Jeans, a nice warm bar is a great way to thaw out. It is also a good way to eat by yourself. When we were first moving to New York in 2003 my husband was there by himself quite often while I was back in Australia with our daughter who was finishing high school and he found it was great to go and sit at a bar and eat there. The bartenders would always talk to him and quite often other patrons who were eating alone as well. As a result of that we still have many good friends from the bartending community in New York.
January 01, 2009 12:01PM
Marea,
I agree! Last May I went back to RARE, a little place on Bleeker Street (at Carmine?). Sat at the bar and had one of their baskets of little burgers (three) with sweet potato fries...chatting with the young, handsome bartender, who was trying out for some part off-Broadway (aren't all NY bartenders aspiring actors?), and a local guy..a bit in a foul mood, who just had a fight with his girlfriend (which for some reason I found humorous, not that I let it show).

Just for an evening I could pretend that I was living there, partaking in a slice of local life. Just for an evening, I was not a tourist, but a traveler, living there for a short time. As I walked out the door to the cool, noisy NY evening, I felt alive, invigorated, and enthralled to have this relationship with the greatest city in the world.

Or maybe it was that great Bordeaux...
January 01, 2009 07:46PM
ya know i never even thought to go sit at a bar to warm up, probably because i don't drink, but that does sound nice. i guess i always just went back to my room so i could kick off my shoes for a bit and plus i always had shopping bags that i wanted to put in my room. i love to sit and chat with actual new yorkers. they always have such great stories about the city.
January 03, 2009 04:56PM
Purpleplum, I'm going to NY for the first time in April and wanted to ask you a few things regarding your trip.
I want it to be personal though.
Can I send you my email address for you to reach me...? smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 13