Should I or shouldn't I?

Posted by purpleplum 
Should I or shouldn't I?
November 21, 2008 07:05PM
Hi!
i am just wondering....
how many people have taken a trip to NYC all by themselves? I have a short trip planned for dec 21st - dec 23rd, and was suppose to be going with a friend. but my friend has cancelled on me. but i am sooo excited about going to NYC i don't want to not go. (i have been to NYC many times, i LOVE it there.). so should i go by myself? i am not afraid to, i am just figuring that it won't be as much fun all by myself. so has anyone gone by themselves? and did you enjoy it or regret it? thanks....
Re: Should I or shouldn't I?
November 22, 2008 12:46AM
Yes!!!
You should go on your trip. I have taken many trips by myself and enjoyed
every single one. Where are you going to stay? One of my favorite things to
do is get on a bus and ride around, hop off anytime you see something that
looks interesting.
Never a regret!
Have a great time and feel free to email me if you have a question.
Best regards.
November 22, 2008 03:17AM
DO IT!!!!

I've been on my own a few times and it's never bothered me, despite my intial resrvations...

The only time I thought I might have a problem was a when I ate out, but to be honest, it never became an issue. In fact it was th eopposite, because,in most places, you'll find the waiting staff will talk to you.

The one great thing about going on your own is that you'll be forced to talk to people, and it'll open a whole new world to you, and (this might sound selfish!), you can do what you want, when you want, without having to worry about annyone else!

As you've been before it won't be totaly alien to you. GO...Enjoy, and when you get back tell us all about it, and what fun it was!
Oracle?
November 22, 2008 08:35AM
A couple of weeks before I was to leave on my first ever European trip, my friend bailed out. My dear cousin convinced me to do it alone. Even though I was terrified, she told me to "pretend" to be fearless. Well, it was a fantastic trip. I met lots of wonderful people and had a great time. Yes, it's great to have a running buddy, but it's also great to fly solo.

By the way, New Yorkers are very friendly. We are known to strike up conversations not only at a bar or restaurant, but sometimes just while waiting for the bus.
November 22, 2008 09:02PM
GO!!!!

"When I am a stranger in a large city I like to sleep in different rooms
eat in different places, walk through unknown streets and watch the unknown people who pass. I love to be the solitary traveler!" - Kahlil Gibran. 1911

My last trip in May was a solo business trip. If I am traveling with others I always make sure that I plan a few days to myself. I, too love to be the solitary traveler!
November 22, 2008 09:32PM
wow...
after reading these responses i am getting excited about traveling to NYC by myself. i never would have considered it before. yes, i do know NYC pretty well, and the hotel i'd be staying at i have stayed at 2x before. so nothing would be extremely strange to me. but standing there looking up at the 30 rock xmas tree all by myself still seems a bit sad to me. but i am sure i'd get over it quickly. and ya know, now that i think about it.... every time i have gone to NYC with a friend i find that i get frustrated with them or annoyed because we can never agree on places to eat, or they have run outta money with like 2 days left so we have to limit everything we do.... so going solo doesn't sound so bad anymore. but i'm excited now, i hope i still am when it is time to go. thanks for the imput so far and i would still love to hear more "solo travel trips".
thanks.
November 23, 2008 01:42AM
Good for you!

You know it makes sense!!!

The thing is, once you've done it once, you'll want to do it again. The first time is always the hardest!

Only 5 big sleeps to go...!
December 12, 2008 10:47PM
ok....my solo trip to new york city is a week away. am i am starting to get nervous. i don't know why really, but i am. i have never traveled alone before. i hope i hope i hope i do not chicken out!!!!!
December 13, 2008 12:57AM
Whatever you do ...DO NOT CHICKEN OUT!!!!!!

You'll thank us when you get back for bulying you into going!!!
December 13, 2008 05:34AM
NO WAY should you chicken out! Do it, do it, do it!!!

Its not sad *at all* its brilliant, brave and you will have a great time, you can't not have a great time in NY. I'd go by myself, *definately*.

I've done a trip to Greece solo and it's liberating! totally please yourself..

Go, enjoy and soak up the magical atmosphere.

Leigh x
December 15, 2008 10:46PM
OK..... i have thought about it all weekend. and i have decided that i AM definitely going to take my solo trip to NYC . and i must saying that being bullied into doing it has helped. smiling smiley i am taking a bus (it is a 3 hr ride), so that won't be too bad. but i do kinda still "worry" about meals. i am not shy.... but i am not a great conversation starter so i don't meet people all that easily. but i figure i can always take food back to my room so i don't look so awkward in a restaurant. (probably cheaper too). i am excited. i can't wait to do some shopping on 5th ave!!! thanks so much for all the input! I AM GOING!!! whoo hoo!
December 16, 2008 12:58AM
Good for you! I'm glad you've come to your senses!

Have a fantatsic time, we know you will, and be sure to tell us all about it when you get back....

....and, one final thing, it really isn't a problem eating out on your own, whether you're a good convesationist or not. No one will even realise youre on your own! DON'T eat in your hotel room...that's when you'll start feeling dorry for yourself, and you could be missing out on a New York Experience.

Enjoy!!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 3