Common Charges/maintenance

Posted by Donal Owens 
Common Charges/maintenance
June 25, 2008 08:06AM
Hi All, I may be moving to New York and looking at apartments to buy I notice some have really high Common Charges or Maintenance. What does this include? Along similar lines, is monthly tax deductible or what. Also seems high in a lot of cases. How do people afford a mortgage PLUS CC PLUS taxes??
Oracle?
Re: Common Charges/maintenance
June 25, 2008 09:30AM
The simple answer is that there are a lot of people in New York who make a lot of money. The average cost of a one-bedroom apt. in Manhattan is $1.2+ million. I don't know what the average maintenance is, but I'd guess it's around $1,000 a month. You should browse some of the realty web sites.
June 25, 2008 12:19PM
One thing to be careful about is the difference between coops and condominiums. In a coop, the monthly charges include property taxes. In a condo, you pay taxes separately. That can account for a pretty substantial difference in fees.

As for deductibility, the only potentially deductible part is property taxes, if you get to deduct them, that is.
June 26, 2008 04:34PM
As already stated, the common charges for a condominium do not include real estate tax because you own you apartment as opposed to a cooperative apartment where you own shares in the cooperative corporation. For a cooperative, there will be a tax deduction for your share of the the real estate taxes on the whole building and the interest on the "underlying" mortgage on the building, that is, the mortgage on the entire building as opposed to your mortgage on you apartment. In a condominium, the only tax deduction will be the interest on the underlying mortgage, if there is one.
Hey, thanks for that, I appreciate your answers. Sounds complicated, I must say.
August 13, 2008 10:11AM
Hi All. I closed on my condo 2 months ago but all the amenities are not yet completed yet Im paying full common changes. As a resident do I have any recourse in a discounted common charge until all amenities are completed? The building management company claim there is nothing they could do in reducing the charge since the majority of the charge goes to the doorman's salary.
August 13, 2008 12:57PM
It's a condo, so you're the owner (along with your neighbors) and the management company charges what you owners direct them to charge. Take it up with the Board.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 11