Visit NYC with children

Posted by Miranda 
Visit NYC with children
January 25, 2008 03:19AM
Hi,

We are visiting NYC april 27th till may 2nd with children in the age of 12-15 years old. Are there any specific things to do what is also fun to do for the kids.Beside the the touristic hotspots like Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Miranda (from Holland)
Re: Visit NYC with children
January 25, 2008 06:38AM
Here are some good options.

[www.askanewyorker.com] [www.amnh.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2008 06:40AM by askanewyorker.
Hi Miranda,

TailoredTours.com (www.tailoredtours.com) has over 40 self-guided tours of New York ($3.00 per tour), including 4 tours that are of particular interest to kids. Some of the sights (both well known and "hidden gems" ) we suggest for kids, include:

* The Central Park Zoo
* FAO Schwartz Toy Store on Fifth Avenue - a must for kids of all ages
* Dylan's Candy Bar (on the Upper East Side)

To make your trip fun AND educational for your kids, you could try a "Scavenger Hunt" tour of New York. As the name implies, these tours ask visitors to hunt for specific items or perform tasks while they are sightseeing. Currently we have Scavenger Hunts for Times Square and the West Village.

Finally, given the ages of your kids (12 and 15), you can't go wrong with a "First Visit" tour of New York, which covers (among other things):
* A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (one of my favorite things to do in the city as you get an amazing view of downtown and midtown)
* Southeast Central Park: rent a rowboat on "The Lake," go for a horse carriage ride; throw a frisbee in Sheep Meadow.
* A stroll down Fifth Avenue from 59th Street to 42nd Street (see the Trump building; Tiffany's, etc.)

I hope your and your kids enjoy your trip to NYC!

Best,
Lisa
January 28, 2008 06:53AM
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your tips. They seem very usefull.

Best,
Miranda
January 29, 2008 02:33PM
I took my 11 year old daughter and she loved Central Park. We rowed the boats and took a bike ride. She also loved the original Macy's. I found the best thing for her was to keep her busy. We walked alot and saw alot of pre to teens walking around Times Square. We saw mary Poppins on broadway and Xanadu, which she really did not get. It was fun but more me than her. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and had ice cream and walked back. we went to 30 Rock center and did the Today show thing. When the people back home saw us our phone rang non stop. There is a great bakery for hot chocolate and sweets right behind the staging area. I let her pick what she wanted to do, which included being tired one day and just wanting to go to sleep early so we did. This year we are going to baseball games and to see Wicked. Take the Staten Island ferry. it's a great view and free. If the kids have never been to NYC it will just be fun to watch their reactions to everything. Her favorite memory is us having wheelbarrow races with random strangers in Central Park. Of all the things I paid for, it was the free, random thing she loves the most.
July 21, 2008 04:31PM
Check out the trailer. I don't remember anything like this as a kid. All I saw where the skeleton remains of T Rexsmiling smiley

[www.thegarden.com]
New York @ Christmas 2009
October 14, 2009 01:24AM
Is there any must do's.....other then the normal...
October 14, 2009 05:16AM
Normal? How old are the kids....I'm sure they would love the earth roomsmiling smiley Star gazing? skating? Serendipity? PS1, Grafitti tour, Jekyll and Hyde,candy stores

Dylans and Serendipity are across the street from Bloomingdales.

[www.dylanscandybar.com] Dylans and Serendpity are across the street from Bloomingdales.

[www.serendipity3.com]

[www.jekyllpub.com]

[newyorkkids.timeout.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2009 05:29AM by askanewyorker.
October 18, 2009 10:23PM
Here is a full itinerary (with addresses and directions) covering Serendipity, Dylan's, FAO, The Plaza and Carriage Rides in Central Park (as well as the real deal on their prices).

[www.nycinsiderguide.com]

You should also check out The Highline. And if you do want to go to the Statue of Liberty, book your tix now and don't get confused by the tours that say they include the S of L - they don't include getting inside the museum.

Enjoy!
October 25, 2009 06:43AM
Hi

I will be visiting NYC in Sept 2010 with my 2 girls, 11 & 14. I need a hotel room with a fridge as my eldest has type 1 diabetes. We would prefer to stay within NYC rather than go to NJ or Brooklyn (although its cheaper there) and as I am nervous about catching the subway I was going to walk everywhere.What do you recommend?
October 28, 2009 06:44AM
Try the Best Western Hospitality House (Apartment Hotel). These are apartments, generally larger than standard hotel rooms, ranging from one to four bedrooms. All include fully equipped kitchens and the rate includes free breakfast daily.
[hotels.nycinsiderguide.com]

Do not be nervous about the subway - it's easy, cheap and fast. Most kids love it and think of it as part of their NYC experience.

Here are some other ideas for your trip with your girls. [www.nycinsiderguide.com]
September 01, 2010 03:08PM
my niece and nephew were just here (ten and twelve years old) and they loved the NY Waterways "twilight cruise" around manhattan, top of the rock observation deck, rowboats in central park, and walking around chinatown and the highline.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 20?
Online Users

Guests: 17