Queens

Posted by Ellis 
Ellis
Queens
July 19, 2007 03:07AM
Hi
I´d like to know little bit about the areas in Queens. I´ve visited Brooklyn during my previous visits in NYC and I´m curious to see Queens also, but I don´t have any ideas which areas are perfectly ok for tourists, which are not-so-recommended. Little help please smiling smiley
Red
Re: Queens
July 19, 2007 09:52AM
Queens is where it's at! With Manhattan becoming a playground for the rich where all the mom and pop shops are replaced by bank branches, Queens is where immigrants, families and strivers make their mark. In fact, the AskANewYorker founders and owners live in this fine borough - because nowadays there's nowhere more New York than Queens.

Here's a day in Queens for ya. You may want to follow along with a Google Map.

Start by taking the "N" train to 30th Avenue. You'll be in Astoria, a Greek, Brazilian, Arab, Mexican, hipster neighborhood. Head up 31st Street a few blocks if you want to shop at Titan Foods, the Greek supermarket. Otherwise, duck into the Trade Fair at 30th Avenue and 30th Street to see an amazing array of international products (enter, go all the way in and then turn left.) Follow 30th Avenue down to Steinway Street (which is where 39th Street would be) stopping at Athens Cafe for a frappe, the national drink of Astoria.

At Steinway Street take a left and walk up towards the highway to see a predominantly Egyptian strip. Make a U turn and walk down Steinway to Broadway to get on the R train, Queens bound, for your next stop.

ADD-ON: You can keep walking past the train and take a right on 34th Avenue to 36th Street to have a beverage at Cafe Bar, a very hip cafe, before going to the Museum of the Moving Image at 35th Avenue and 35th Street, a fun, interactive museum about the history of the movies. Then head back to the R.

Take the R to 74th/Roosevelt and get off there. Walk up 74th Street toward 37th Avenue to see the Indian strip of Jackson Heights - 100% Bollywood! (If you're hungry there, try Delhi Palace.) Follow 37th Avenue to 78th Street and walk up 78th to look into the private gardens of one of Jackson Heights' garden blocks - many of the blocks in this neighborhood are gigantic, genteel co-ops with block-long private gardens in the middle. Then take a U-turn and walk back down to Roosevelt Avenue, under the train to see a much more South American vibe. Follow Roosevelt as far down as 69th to nab some Filipino flavor between 69th and 71th Streets, then get on the #7 train at 69th Street ... Queens bound.

Get off at Shea Stadium. Walk from there through the generally dull Flushing Meadows Park to the Queens Museum, where you can be wowed by the Panorama of the City of New York - an amazing scale model of the entire city, with every building! Head back to the train and take it one more stop to Flushing, a real Chinatown, where you can wander around the very Chinese vibe.

On your way back, if it's still early, you can get off the #7 at 45th Road and head to PS1, a contemporary art museum run by Moma. Finish off a Queens day with a mellow iced tea and sandwich at the PS1 cafe or at nearby Communitea, at 47th Avenue and Vernon Boulevard. If you go to Communitea, stop into the tiny Art-O-Mat gallery next door! From there you can walk down Vernon a few blocks through the heart of the Long Island City neighborhood, get back on the 7 at Vernon-Jackson, and you're four minutes from Manhattan.
July 19, 2007 12:25PM
I'm going to print that out.

Maybe we will have time for an excursion to Queens while in NY. ...sounds interesting, especially MOMI.
July 19, 2007 10:25PM
That is great Red, I'm going to print it out as well and take it with me when I move back to New York, I never got to do any of that when I lived there last.
July 19, 2007 11:58PM
This link will go in my NY file! This is why I wish every city had an ASK A...... I would have love great info like this while planning my Seattle trip. Red we just love you!
July 20, 2007 06:05AM
Love you Red! Thank you for yet another spot on answer. Ask Redsmiling smiley One of my favorites is the Noguchi Museum and Socrates Sculpture Park, which is across the street from the museum,in Long Island City.

[www.noguchi.org]
and
[www.askanewyorker.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2007 06:10AM by askanewyorker.
JFK
July 20, 2007 12:14PM
Hi,

Cottage Living Magazine just named Forest Hills Gardens of Queens as the nicest neighborhood in the country. It's a beautiful area filled with beautiful homes that will amaze you that they are surrounded by an urban setting.

Just take the E or F train from Manhattan - it's only 4 express stops and 15-20 minutes away. Old fashioned ice cream shop called Eddy's and one of the best NY pizza parlors, Nick's. Also home to the original site of the US Open Tennis Tournament, the West Side Tennis Club.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 9?
Online Users

Guests: 14