Need info about the area of West 50th to West 65th in NYC

Posted by Leah25 
Need info about the area of West 50th to West 65th in NYC
April 30, 2007 07:33PM
I'm a young women finally getting ready to move to NYC for college in the summer and I am looking at moving to the area of West 50th street to West 65th street. Are there any dangerous trouble spots around there that I should avoid? Can anyone tell me specific streets and blocks and corners to avoid? I've also been looking to move out the NYC for several years now and I can never seem to find any cheap places to live. Do any good, safe boarding houses still exist out there in the 21st century? If so, how can I check the reputability of these places? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leah
Re: Need info about the area of West 50th to West 65th in NYC
April 30, 2007 08:44PM
Is there a specific address you're considering? Why have you chosen that range of streets? Any reason you have to be in Manhattan?

As far as boarding houses go, I know that The Webster is still around:

[www.websterapartments.org]

I know people who have stayed there in the past, and it is STRICT (women only, no guys in your room, etc.) and not in the most residential of areas (34th between 9th and 10th) but it is safe. If you're going to college here, is there any chance you could live in a dorm? That might be a good alternative to a boarding house or finding your own apartment.
Hello New Yorkers,
We are an Irish family travelling to NY in July for two weeks. We will be staying in Woodside, 56th st,. was wondering what area has to offer in the way of restaurants, parks, entertainment, etc. We will have kids with us ranging in age from 14 down to 7. Are there any good family restaurants (not fast food! in the area. Obviously we will be travelling in and out of Manhatten a lot, but thought it would be nice to sample the authentic NY also! Thanks!!
Staying with family eh? Looking for the old Woodside craic? Pity Bloom's burned down. I'm still hurting from the fact that Bloom's burned down.

I live in Jackson Heights, the next neighborhood over. The neighborhoods aren't great for parks or entertainment, but they're absolutely lovely for food - a wide variety of ethnic food, from Irish to Filipino, Romanian, Mexican, Indian, South American, the best Thai in the city, even Korean fried chicken! The axis from Sunnyside-Woodside-Jackson Heights is one of the most international in the whole USA, I'd bet.

For a park I'd suggest Sunnyside Gardens park at 39th Avenue and 50th Street ... well kept because it's privately owned. There's also Doughboy Park at Woodside and Skillman avenues. Sunnyside Gardens park has toys for the little ones.

As for food - the issue is where to start! Sripraphai at 64th Street just north of Roosevelt may be the best Thai in the city ... Donovan's at 57th and Woodside would be your Irish pub and burger joint ... Unidentified Flying Chicken at 71st and Roosevelt serves up that crispy Korean chicken ... Taj Mahal at 74th and 37th for Indian in my mind ... Chips at 42nd and Queens Boulevard for nouveau Mexican ... so many others!
Re: Need info about the area of West 50th to West 65th in NYC
May 01, 2007 07:44PM
Hi rf1279, I already checked out Webster Apartments and they gave me such poor customer service when I called to inquire about their accomodations, I won't consider staying there. Any other boarding house suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Leah
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 5?
Online Users

Guests: 7