Girl from Liverpool, England needs some travel advice on New York

Posted by JOHNOR 
Girl from Liverpool, England needs some travel advice on New York
April 29, 2007 06:27AM
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are planning 4 nights/5 days in New York in December this year and I am just looking for some advice from those that know the City best.

Our age group is 22 and 23 and we are big fans of christmas time. What festive activites can we do at this time of year? Also I am obsessed with shopping, where are the best places to shop in New York for a couple of outfits and some shoes/boots? Also where does the best sportswear/trainers (sneakers?) for men?

We want to do quite a bit of sightseeing, in your opinion what are the top three suggestions? (Not Strawberry fields, I live right by it in Liverpool) Does anyone know if the grinch will be on Broadway in December?

We are staying at Milford Plaza, is this a decent enough hotel and is it quite central?

Finally.... New York food. I'm dying to have a New York breakfast, New York Pizza and a New York hotdog. Any suggestions????

Thanks everyone.
A few scattered responses.

The Mildew Plaza is very centrally located and it's decent enough - a big, tired-looking, old hotel full of tour groups. It won't be a highlight of your stay and you won't want to spend lots of time there, but you won't be disgusted and you'll have a good night's sleep.

The best pizza nowadays is probably Grimaldi's, right by the Fulton Ferry landing in Brooklyn. A pretty classic experience is to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge during the day, get lunch at Grimaldi's and then ice cream at the really awesome ice cream shack right by the ferry landing. Mmmm.

For breakfast, hmm - maybe Good Enough to Eat or Popover Cafe on the Upper West Side, or Round the Clock downtown on 9th Street.

I'm not sure where foreigners got the idea that our hot dogs are particularly good. They aren't - the ones sold on the street, especially, are barely food. Your best bet with a hot dog is to go to Katz's Deli, which is very much a New York classic and an attraction, with its buzzing atmosphere and unusual payment system. The hot dogs are top notch, as is the other deli food there.
Re: Girl from Liverpool, England needs some travel advice on New York
April 29, 2007 10:06AM
The Grinch closed on Broadway in January. However, according to this article, there is a chance it will be back next year:

[www.playbill.com]

The Theatre at Madison Square Garden usually has something holiday-themed as well. For years it was A Christmas Carol, and last year they had Annie. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular or NYCB's Nutcracker would be good holiday choices too.
I won't eat the "dirty water dogs" on the street, but I love the hot dogs at Gray's Papaya. Of the several locations, I like the one on Broadway at 72nd Street. Try their "recession special" -- two hot dogs and a medium drink (try the papaya) for around $3.50. It's not a sit-down place though, only take-away.

Best breakfasts are Norma's in Le Parker Meridien (very expensive though), the Brooklyn Diner, Balthazar, Barney Greengrass. Brunch is a big weekend thing here. Sometimes it seems like a competition to even get a table! I'd recommend the beautiful Boathouse Restaurant in Central Park. But go early, even in winter.

A great source of restaurant info is menupages.com, where you can read reviews and even see sample menus (with outdated prices).

I don't know whether the Grinch will be playing. The most popular holiday show is the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, and tickets are already on sale. If you have any interest, buy now from their web site. I think it's www.radiocity.com. It's very hokey but a must-see, too.

The city is so gorgeous over the holidays. Be prepared for enormous crowds though. Do take time to see the neighborhoods instead of the big tourist attractions. And, skip the Empire State Building and go to the Top of the Rock instead. The view is gorgeous. Go just before dusk so you can see the daytime views -- especially Central Park -- and stay as the lights come up on all the iconic buildings. It's also the best view of the Empire State Building!

As you're shopping, be sure to see the holiday windows. Macy's, Lord & Taylor (always the most beautiful), Saks, Henri Bendel's, Bergdorf Goodman. Don't forget Barney's, the "un-Christmas" Christmas windows.

Don't worry about the hotel. Just don't be timid about complaining if you get a crappy room.

Have fun planning!
Re: Girl from Liverpool, England needs some travel advice on New York
April 29, 2007 09:19PM
For shoes and boots, and even mens trainers try DSW at Union Square.
Loehmann's, Daffy's, Century 21, H&M are all great places to shop. For cookware, go to Broadway Panhandler. For information on upcoming sales, go to www.found4less.com. They update twice daily with info on sales.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 6