where to live

Posted by sunny 
where to live
April 07, 2007 05:49AM
Dear Ny-er,
I am planning on moving to NYC for my school. Right now i live in Amsterdam, The NEtherlands in centre ( downtown). I really like big cities and being surrounded with a hectic life of a big city.
However, i have heard that living in downtown New York is not much fun at all. Is this true? Where is the best place to live, safe and secure but also fun and crowded for a girl allone in nyc?
Thanks in advance.
Sunny
Eric
Re: where to live
April 07, 2007 01:20PM
If someone told you that "downtown" isn't much fun, they may have been using the NY definition of "downtown," which is the financial district, and then they'd be pretty much correct.

Other parts of the city fit what you'd want. Read other posts (this sort of question comes up all the time) and you'll see that you should include parts of Brooklyn and Queens in your definitions of where to look.
Oracle?
April 07, 2007 06:59PM
You don't want to move to a neighborhood based on what someone says on a forum. The best strategy is to look into subletting an apartment. That will give you a base from which to explore, to see where you like the vibe.
April 07, 2007 09:07PM
sunny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Ny-er,
> I am planning on moving to NYC for my school.
> Right now i live in Amsterdam, The NEtherlands in
> centre ( downtown). I really like big cities and
> being surrounded with a hectic life of a big city.
>
> However, i have heard that living in downtown New
> York is not much fun at all. Is this true? Where
> is the best place to live, safe and secure but
> also fun and crowded for a girl allone in nyc?
> Thanks in advance.
> Sunny

Sunny; I'm doing the same thing as you are with moving to NYC, except from NC (the south). I recommend using the craigslist nyc for subletting,housing. It's also for tons of other stuff.
I found a golden nugget in a 2 br studio share basement in Queens in an upscale neighborhood. The landlady is one of the friendliest people I've met in NYC, and she's from Pakistan.

Finding the right place, in a suitable neighborhood is just a matter of working hard going through the different ads to find what you're looking for. It's tedious work, but well worth it once you find it.
You may also want to try www.sublet.com, which for a fee provides you with membership to 3 separate sites.

Jeff
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 8?
Online Users

Guests: 11