Newark or JFK

Posted by bonnie 
Newark or JFK
March 08, 2007 06:14PM
Hi, I am staying in the West Village when I visit in May and am wondering the best airport to fly into? The fastest way to NYC, that is.
Thanks for your help!
Oracle?
Re: Newark or JFK
March 08, 2007 07:41PM
It'd probably be easiest to fly into Newark then take the train into New York's Penn Station. You can get a taxi from there, or -- if you don't have much luggage -- take the subway down to the Village.

There are also buses from both airports that will take you to various midtown locations, including the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is at 42nd St. and 8th Ave., which is also easy to get to the Village from there.

For all the options, take a look at the Port Authority's web site. They operate our airports. Click on the airport, then on Ground Transportation.
www.panynj.gov

What ever you do, DO NOT use Super Shuttle!!
March 08, 2007 08:59PM
Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.

I will also not use Super Shuttle. Why, may I ask do you have an aversion to them? Bad experience or bad for the city?
March 09, 2007 03:10AM
Either airport you can get the airtrain and then either the train from Newark or the Subway if from JFK. I've used both airports and don't have a preference, it just depends on the best deal I get on flights and which airport it is going to.
Super shuttle just takes so long, it's a reasonable service, particularly if you are travelling alone, I've used them a few times, but you end up waiting around at the airport to get picked up, then it can be anything up to a hour after you get on the bus to actually leaving the airport as they go around the other terminals picking up passengers. Fair enough but when you've had a 8 hour flight and up since 4 or 5 in the morning UK time you just want to get to your hotel! Then they are dropping off all over the place. Going back is worse….get picked up and then they spend the next hour or so driving around Manhattan picking up passengers, I've had a driver that didn't know where the hotel was that he was going to next, by the time he got there they'd taken a cab instead, I've never missed a flight and, to be fair, they got me to airport in good time, but I've wondered how at times….any traffic holdups and I'm sure we would have.
The airtrain service is very good so I'd recommend that - I'll be using it on Tuesday for the first time from Newark (used JFK one before), can't wait!
March 10, 2007 06:15AM
I completely agree with Oracle *do not* use Super Shuttle ... they are terrible. Takes ages to pick everyone up, ages to drop everyone off, their vans smell bad and play bad music! lol Seriously, airtrain is *so* much better, quick, cheap and easy.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 11?
Online Users

Guests: 4