Newark Airport to Manhattan

Posted by Richard 
Newark Airport to Manhattan
February 22, 2007 03:16PM
Hi there

Not been on here for a while.
In 3 weeks I'll be making my 6th trip from the UK to NYC, got tickets for 2 Rangers hockey games and a Knicks basketball game.

I'm flying into Newark and I notice on their website that there is an air train service to Penn Station - sounds ideal (I'll have 1 medium sized case) so wondered who else had used it and any details on the procedure....where to get train etc. Previously I've got the hotel shuttle (Supershuttle) but they are a bit of a pain....I think last time I used them we spent almost a hour driving around the airport picking people up!

thanks in advance
Richard
Re: Newark Airport to Manhattan
February 22, 2007 03:22PM
Me again Richard!

This is definitley the best transfer from Newark. You will see many signs and directions to the air train within Newark airport but if you want more details go on the Newark Airport website. They will tell you everything.

We used it and was a much easier transfer than taxi and also gave us more time in Manhattan when we were due to go home as the trip is much quicker than taxi.

There's a taxi rank outside Penn Station to transfer you to your hotel.
Are you staying midtown?
February 22, 2007 03:30PM
Thanks David

Sharing some info this evening!

I'm staying in the Red Roof on W32 and 5th which is only a couple of blocks from there so I'll walk that distance - I know that area reasonably well - stayed in Hotel Penn before
Hi Richard

Have you thought about using Newark Liberty Airport Express? (http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp) We are thinking of using this when we arrive next month but for some strange reason I haven't seen anyone mentioning this service before - I wonder if there's a reason for this?
February 24, 2007 09:47AM
There is nothing at all wrong with that bus. I used to use it alot before I moved to the area. Back then I flew into Newark and took that bus.

Some people prefer door to door service with a taxi which you won't get with the bus.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Ieee488 - Thanks a lot for your comment. I actually considered a limo just to surprise my friend but I'm not sure which company to choose so unless I get a good feeling with one of the limo companies I think we might take the bus - We have booked a hotel at Times Square and as far as I can tell there's a stop quite close to there.
February 24, 2007 03:03PM
Right.
That airport bus stops near the Port Authority Bus Terminal which is located at 42nd Street and 8th Avenue. There is a taxi line right in front but with the congested traffic in Manhattan near there you'd probably end up getting to your hotel just as fast by walking as by taxi.

+
+
+
+
March 02, 2007 10:31PM
I notice you are staying at Red Roof and know the area pretty well. Do you know anything about the LaQuinta that is owned by the same company and across the street. I have heard good and bad and wondered if anyone had any comments.
March 04, 2007 08:56AM
We used the SuperShuttle on our recent trip and it was terrible! Will *never* use it again! We waited 40 minutes to be collected, as due to c**p instructions from rude and abrupt staff, we were waiting in the wrong place! Needless to say, the rest of the passengers were quite rightly p*ss*d when we eventually got in the (not very clean and quite smelly) van! Took ages to get to the hotel (Midtown east) and the journey back was torture as the driver sang along to his showtunes cd ... urgh! We used Airtrain and subway on last trip from JFK and will definately be using train on next visit to Newark!
March 04, 2007 04:48PM
I know what you mean Leigh - every time I've used them it's taken ages getting to hotel due to picking up around the airport.
Going to the airport I've often thought we won't make it on time, on one occasion we must have passed a block from my hotel about 4 times!
Last time I was going to La Guardia for a flight to Chicago whilst the rest of the bus were for JFK...he was already late and the rest of the bus weren't happy that I was being dropped off at La Guardia (they were ok with me, just questioning the driver why it had been organised to have 1 bus to go to 2 hotels)
I'll definitely be doing the Airtrain from Newark
March 04, 2007 05:39PM
Some caution about the Airtrain.
If you are traveling in late afternoon on weekends to EWR or during morning rushhour on weekdays from EWR be prepared for cramped conditions. You might not have a place to sit. And don't try to do this with more than one big piece of luggage per person.

I just on one of the trains from Manhattan to NJ which stops at EWR. It was packed. Always is.

+
+
+
+
March 05, 2007 03:26PM
Thanks for that - I'll be arriving in Newark at approx 1.30pm on a Tuesday afternoon - my return flight is the following Monday at 8:30pm so I guess I will be hitting it at a busy time getting to the airport for 5:30pm. I might go earlier - always hate that hanging around after checking out of hotel - so might set off toairport at 2pm and enjoy a leisurely beer at the airport and some of the wonderful airport food you do in the States (compared to the overpriced rubbish they pass off on un over here in airports!)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 4