NYC to Washington via train!!

Posted by David 
NYC to Washington via train!!
February 22, 2007 02:52PM
Hi guys,

I am planning on visiting NYC again in September/October time and would like to take in a trip to Washington. A few people have said a train transfer would be nice to see the US but would you New Yorkers know if this any good for me? How long it would take, cost etc etc.Staying in New York for 10 days but no hotel booked yet so can go to Wasgington for however many nights is best.

Thanks,

A Liverpudlian - home of the Beatles
Re: NYC to Washington via train!!
February 22, 2007 03:12PM
Hi David

A couple of years ago I did a trip to NYC for a few days and then onto DC for a few days. Took the Greyhound bus from Port Authority - was only about $25 one way.
February 22, 2007 03:17PM
Thanks Richard,

So is it worth doing? Should I just go for a flight transfer? How long did it take to get there??

Apologies for the 20 questions!
February 22, 2007 03:27PM
What happened to the other 17 questions?!

It took about 4 hrs 30.....dependent on the time of day of course...we set off about 9am but most of the traffic at that time was coming into Manhattan as we headed out. Just checked and its $37 (maybe I got the cost wrong and it was equivalent of £25 at the time!)

Depends how long you are going for - if you are just planning a day or so maybe not....if a few days then it's a cheap way of getting there and an experience if nothing else. You may recall a few years ago a Greyhound driver was stabbed - we went a day or 2 after that!

I would have gone by plane but my girlfriend didn't like flying (depite going to the States!) so didn't want another flight!
I remember looking into train prices and they weren't that much different to price for flights!
February 22, 2007 04:28PM
Check out the train schedules at www.amtrak.com
Travel time varies depending on which service of train you take
as does the price. Amtrak sometimes runs specials.

From NYC to DC, the train is more comfortable than the bus.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
February 25, 2007 01:44PM
D.C. is very much worth your time and money. Enjoy!!

Here is a link to where we stayed (drove from Maryland) and I would stay again in a heartbeat. The restaruant is top notch, especially when dining outdoors on the patio. [www.tabardinn.com]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 8?
Online Users

Guests: 8