Plus size evening wear

Posted by Scottishlass 
Plus size evening wear
December 29, 2006 07:55AM
smileys with beer Hi there!

I am visiting from Scotland and am looking for long ball gowns in a US size 14-16.
Are there any stores that specialize in evening wear for chubsters like me? Have looked online at most of the main stores like Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdales etc but the plus suze ranges are awful and so so frumpy. ANd why, oh why are there so many strapless, sleeveless dresses? I so do not want to show my ,what we call in the UK, bingo wings! But also I don't want the hassle of a stole or shawl. How fussy am I? Ha ha ha ha
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Love
Lisa
Oracle?
Re: Plus size evening wear
December 29, 2006 10:21AM
I love the term "bingo wings!" I don't trust women without them!

I agree, lots of the plus size stuff tends to look matronly. But I think if you're shopping in person vs. on the net, it's easier to find something. Also try Lord & Taylor, on 5th Ave. at 39th St. They tend to the conservative side, but they've got a big selection of evening wear.

By the way, US sizes 14-16 are not considered "plus" sizes, you'll find up to size 16 in the average-size sections.
December 29, 2006 01:03PM
Thanks for your reply and help.
I haven't been shopping on the internet, but just checking which stores might be good to visit.
I just want something classy and a bit sexy. Why is it so difficult to get nice things for juicy ladies? I am only 35 and not quite ready to head into kaftanesque tent dresses and ornamental shawls (as someone I knew suggested !!!).
However, you guys in the States definitely have it better than we Brits! Most shops have dresses that would not look out of place on Hyacinth Bouquet ( for all u BBC America viewers) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to think of myself as a ripe peach, not an aging fat frump

Love,
Lisa

P.S. Does anyone have any info on Elite Designs @ 990 6th Avenue of the Americas? Supposed to stock loads of evening wear?
Oracle?
December 29, 2006 05:27PM
Don't know anything about Elite. There are a few places in the garment center that sell retail (most only are wholesalers). The ones I've seen are on the cheezy, gaudy side though. Anyway, worth taking a look at, and just a couple of blocks from Lord & Taylor.
December 30, 2006 04:06AM
I'm not sure but I think UK sizes are the same as Australian sizes which means 14-16 would be 10-12 in US sizes. Daisiegee or Mell could probably confirm or deny this.
KT(aka Karen, Daisiegee.....)
December 30, 2006 10:52AM
I'm a UK 10 which translates to a US 6 for me. Some stores differ ( same as in the UK!), but that's my rule of thumb. It's also the sizing guide Gap uses on their labels.
December 30, 2006 11:37PM
Then the UK sizes are the same as in Oz, 10 here translates to 6 in the US as well.
December 31, 2006 01:01PM
That is one nice thing about US sizes! You can kid yourself you are smaller! Ha ha!
Well, I will let u know how I get on. I hope I can get something that wont look to much like a Demis Roussous cast off!
Have a wonderful Wonderful New Year!

Luv
Lisa
December 31, 2006 06:09PM
Talbot's is very classy. They also have a Talbot's Misses which starts at size 14 (US), but what I love is they have petites plus sizes. They have great separates too. I have a lovely pair of gold silk wide leg pants that I have dressed up with lots of fun silky or lacey tops the last couple of years. www.talbots.com they are having a fabulous sale at the moment!

Also TJMaxx is a great place to find things. Some of my best cocktail and long dresses have come from there. Best of luck!!! Filene's would be good too!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 3?
Online Users

Guests: 3