Moving to NY from a small town

Posted by AshleyJ 
Moving to NY from a small town
December 14, 2006 11:41AM
Hi there! My friend and I are planning to move to New York next Fall. We are from a little town in Wisconsin so we want to be very realistic about this move. Should we be looking for an apartment and job before we leave here? If so, how would you get a job when you're so far away in a different state? Thank you all in advance for your help!!!!
Re: Moving to NY from a small town
December 14, 2006 02:24PM
I am not from NYC, but my suggestion would be to look for a job before hand unless you have an extremely large bank account. One way to do that would be online, and when you recieve a call/calls you could plan a short trip to the city for interviews. I guess you could also take a trip to fill out apps or turn in resume's instead of online, While you are there you could also check out apartments. Or you could look for a short term rental until you are sure of your employment location and then look for something more permanent. That would be my suggestion if I were to move there, which I had thought about years ago.
December 14, 2006 03:42PM
hi Ashley,
I moved here in 1998, also from a small town in Wisconsin (Waukesha).
I'd never go back. smiling smiley
anyway, this thread may help you:
[www.askanewyorker.com]

the short answer to your question: you sort of need to be here to get an apartment and a job. you can always sublet an apartment temporarily, while you are looking for the right job and apartment. always the option to do temp work while looking, too. good luck!
December 15, 2006 05:15PM
Sublet.com and craigslist.com will help you with an apartment. You might also look in craigs for a job. Sign up with several temp agencies to gaurantee you stay busy, and it will help get your foot in the door with a company you like.
Best of luck.

Monster.com is also good for a job. What type of work are you girls looking for?
December 15, 2006 11:31PM
confused smiley I can't post a question. When I tried at work earlier today, I thought it was Big Brother's controls on the server, but I went to post tonight from home, and this is what I get.

[askanewyorker.com]
December 18, 2006 08:39AM
Thank you guys for all your help!!! Truly appreciated! smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 4