The Web Camera , Mell and Me! Sunday 26th.

Posted by English Shopper 
Aww, E.S., you know you had a great time with the bear!!! You must have found a new outfit for him at Macy*s!!

Look forward to hearing more about the trip! What was your favorite score at Macy*s?
Re: The Web Camera , Mell and Me! Sunday 26th.
November 30, 2006 02:02PM
Glad you like the webcam pictures.

Sorry you missed each other at the Rainbow Grill. I find it cool that people who get to know each other via a website forum end up meeting in real life. I experienced that here in Europe with people whom I had met on a web forum and later a dozen of us decided to travel and meet in France, then the year after we met in Belgium, then in Switzerland. Very pleasant.

Next time I'll be in NYC, I'd be happy to meet some of you. I should normally be back next May or June. This reminds me that I never posted feedback on my first trip to NYC last year. I absolutely must do that. I'll try next week-end, along with pictures...

Kind regards to all.
Hiya folks...!

Here it is, at last..my report from our little shopping extravaganza earlier this week! Firstly please accept my apologies for not reporting back sooner, but things have been a little hectic here in the UK!

After what seemed the longest flight in the Universe, on our approach to JFK we flew around Manhatten Island for the most fantastic view of your great city! I was kicking myself for not taking my camera on board, bu, even now that image is deeply embedded in my mind!

As we're making our final approach at 11.15, I was panicing that a) I wouldn't be at the webcam for 1.00 pm and b) that there might be nothing left at you know where for me to snap up!

Immigration and Customs were cleared in no time at all...even managing a little joke with the customs officer that New York was miles better than Boston & Chicago...although he told me to tell no one...so, keep it a secret!

A quick taxi ride onto the island, and a super quick check in at the hotel (checked in by 12.30!!!..thank you Best Western!!), a quick shower, and a race to the webcam, and Voila, against the odds..I'd made it!

After spending 5 minutes or so at Webcam "number 4" it was time to race down to Macy*s! It seemed that everyone was going the other way..but I finally made it..and it was like being at home! Let me tell you, that after collecting my discount card, I crept into panic mode (for the second time that day), as I couldn't see anything that had "buy me" written all over it! I was on the verge of hyperventilating and thinking that I might have to see medical asssistance when, after about an hour and a half, I made my first purchase! From there on in it was a slippery slope downwards!

Without giving you a blow my blow account of my days therapy, suffice to say that I managed to accumulate quite a collection of Macy*s carrier bags!
On my travels I popped in to see Alda (on the Tag watch counter), and she remembered me from last year! I threatned to take Mell to see her on Saturday...

Dinner was at the Brooklyn Diner on 43rd, after a couple of beers in Chevys (one of my favourites!)...followed by a few more beers!

Saturday, and Mell was due to arrive. I was instructed to check out the Cheyenne Diner, and sure enough, it was as expected...great building, a cracking breakfast, and less than chatty staff! It was back to Macy*s to use my discount vouchers and snap up more bargains!

Mell arrived at 2.00 pm ( a little late...custonmary!) and we met in Chevys. Waiting for her was a plate of Nachos and Margareta! And then back to Macy*s..for some more spending!!!

I know you're all going to say "Oh no!" but Saturday evening was spent (with that blinking bear!) at Hooters!! I know what you're thinking...but if it's good enough for Adam Sandler it's good enough for us, well me, anyway!

Sunday started, hangover free at The Top Of The Rock. If you've never been there, you really must go! We were lucky, again, with the weather, and had the most stunning views, and have come away with some fantatstic photos. Following our legendary webcam appearance at Times Square it was time for breakfast at the Brooklyn Diner (recommended) it was to Roosvelt Island, with again the most amazing views from the cable car, and from the island itself.
From there it was to Bloomys (a tad expensive), the United Nations (got my stamps with ME on them!!) and a stroll down fifth avenue...before preparing for our night at the Rainbow Room and the View.

Once again we were looked at with contemt at the Rainbow Room..we were told to "wait over there," and I have to say that they didn't make us feel particularly special! If it wasn't for the stunnign view, and the fact that we were hoping to meet Oracle, I really wouldn't bother! On that note..ORACLE, I'm really sorry we missed you!!! I was quite disapointed when Mell told me that you were sitting at the bar waiting for us!
And so, it was to the View....and how the attitude has changed there too!
This was the third time I've been to the View, and it really is the most amazing place..a nice cosy atmosphere, soft lighting (beauty is only a light switch away!) and great company..spoilt by the hostess demanding payment from me whilst I was eating!!! (I seem to recall that I even had a mouthful of food at the time of asking!). Anyway, I wasn't going to let this spoil our evening...it just seemed a bit strange!

Monday was another hangover free day, and it was back to Cheyennes for breakfast, Ground Zero to pay our respects, Century 21, the clock in John Street (found it at last!!)..it's just a shame it wasn't working! I was so near to the damn thing last year!..and then to Pier 17 to chill out...

A quick (is there such a thing?) trip to Macy*s to see Alda again (Mell bought a lovely watch from her, and I thouroughly recommed that if you ever need to buy a timepiece in Macy*s go and see Alda..she is a credit to Macy*s...she christened me the "Wild Stallion!") followed by a visit to the ESB by night..and once again stunning views, was followed by dinner at Chevys! (we made our way there by one of those bicycle taxi thingies.. a great way to see Times Square..that guy worked hard and earned avery penny of his fare!)
Monday evening was Mells last night in New York...but I still had another days shopping to get through! (It's a tough life!)..and home first thing Wednesday morning!

Tuesday was spent snapping up those last minute bargains, and an evening trip to the Rockerfeller centre to see the final preparations for the tree lighting celebrations on Wednesday..even managing to squeeze in a quick tv appearance on one of the pre-recordings!

The guy at the BA check in desk insisted I unload some of my suitcase cos it was overweight..., there was me walking round JFK like a bag lady!

On paper it looks like we had a really average time, and didn't do a lot particularly exciting, but we were on the go from early morning to late at night! We walked a total of about 17 miles (the pedometer packed up after about 14 miles!), we met some very nice people, and laughed and shopped a lot!

One of the most surreal moments has to be the visit to the Charmin Restrooms in Times Square! Even if you don't want to 'go'...you must take time to make a visit!
Most satisfying moment? Getting my Macy*s discount card!
Biggest mistake? Going the wrong way on the subway, and ending up somewhere in Brooklyn..lost..with not a Macy*s in sight!
Biggest laugh? In a full, silenced elevator at The Rainbow Room, everyone whispering...and me asking why! Upon the reply that there was alack of music to hide the conversation, I started whistling...and voila, everyone started talking! (and no, it wasn't to tell me to shut up!)
Funniest moment? Mell leaving the hotel room without her suitcase (at 4 in the morning), and me chasing her, half naked down the hallway with only a towel to hide my modesty!
Saddest moment? Coming home!

Already I'm looking forward to my next trip...I just need an excuse...!

Thanks to everyone that made our trip special..and well done Mell for keeping up! Those little legs must have been aching by the end of the trip!

ES
Yes ES...my legs were aching, but who cares when you're in New York! It WAS such a special trip!! Love Mell xx.
Oracle?
December 02, 2006 05:23PM
Can't believe we were there at the same time!!! I even asked the captain if there was a couple missing their third. Grrrrrrrrrrr! Well, it's as good an excuse as any for you to return.

Doesn't seem like you left much at your shrine. Still, it's a bit shocking that it took you so long to make your first purchase. I'm sure you started panicking!

Now, make a list of everything you bought, and how much more it would have cost you at home. Then see how much you saved, and put that amount into your fund for the next trip. And, next time, I'm going to hold up a big sign! Anyway, glad you liked the Rainbow Grill a little better this time. But maybe next time you'll be here in warm weather, and we can meet at some swanky rooftop.
December 03, 2006 03:45AM
I can't believe you had so many hangover free days, we were there for 14 nights in October and went out for 13 of them. The one night we didn't go out we walked about a million miles through the day and watched a parade for 2 hours and on top of that my amazing husband was going to work and I was taking our poor starving son to lunch and/or breakfast each day.

By the way it only took me around 20 minutes to make my first purchase at Macys. But you must remember it was my 'local' when I used to live nearby.
December 03, 2006 05:41AM
Well Wild Stallion, that trip report didn't disappoint at all!
LOL! I agree with Karen, a great report! Hopefully we will see you next year, and we can race to see who makes the first purchase. Most likely you, as there is a Macy's within walking distance of my place, which you are welcome to visit anytime.
December 04, 2006 04:57PM
Thanks for the report. You sure had a great time! Though I'm not that interested in shopping, you just got me more impatient to go back to NYC. Well, enough with the teaser text. Wouldn't you post a few pictures for dessert now? grinning smiley
...If I knew how to, I would!!!
My usual way did not work. A lesson from Li?
December 05, 2006 02:15PM
The best thing to do is to have your own website where you can upload your pictures and link to them from the message you post here. If you have many, or if they're big, I'd recommend linking to the files instead of displaying them, to avoid spoiling the forum layout and consuming AANY's bandwidth.

Normally your ISP offers some space for web pages hosting which is linked to your account, or you can susbscribe to such free services online to host your pictures (I cannot recommend any -- I have my own site for that).

Cheers
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 4?
Online Users

Guests: 6