Tourism

Posted by Jacquie 
Tourism
October 18, 2006 04:58PM
What do New Yorkers really think about tourism/tourists?
Red
Re: Tourism
October 19, 2006 05:57AM
Come! Spend money! Lots of money!
October 19, 2006 06:04PM
I did.
October 20, 2006 08:19PM
From what i have read in Non tourist New York forums, i get the impression that don't like us much ):

Kinda make me SAD,

Nicky
October 21, 2006 01:26AM
I don't know if they like us or not, but there is a problem with many tourists whether in NYC or any other place in the world. For example, when they come to my country (Belgium), here is what I don't like with many of them :

- They are always in the way, especially at peak/rush hours.
- They stand in the middle of the street, blocking the traffic, because it's the right distance for them to take a picture of this or that.
- You can identify the sheptel when they walk on a chic avenue dressed as if they were going for trekking in Nepal.
- They don't understand why the doorman refuses them into a nightclub when they're dressed like that.
- They make you miss your train because they spend an hour buying their ticket and find it normal that the transport employee should understand/speak their language.
- They spoil your morning when you want to read the paper and drink your coffee sitting in a park to enjoy the quiet and the show of a new sunny day starting in your beloved city, and the sheptel arrives with their guide shouting instructions with a megaphone.

As far as I'm concerned, I always try to fit the place when I'm abroad: attitude, clothing, behaviour. I try to go with the flow. I guess I'm not too bad at it when other tourists start to ask me their way. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 01:50AM by liofo.
October 21, 2006 07:14AM
let them eat cake.
October 21, 2006 11:42AM
So did I Marea (spend money!!!).

But nowhere NEAR as much as ES. He must hold some kind of a record!!!

All I can say is...if they don't like us being there they conceal it pretty well, because everyone we met was absolutely lovely to us!

...Helpful, kind, and really seemed to quite like us actually!...And we were on our best behaviour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2006 11:45AM by (n/a).
October 21, 2006 02:24PM

I would concurr!!

I love spending money in NY, and on the whole I've been made welcome with open arms on every visit!

Oh, and you should see my collection of shirts bought from Macys! My wardrobe is bulging at the seams....but I think I can squeeze just a few more in...!
October 21, 2006 02:27PM
Your wardrobe??!!!

What about the drawers...and cupboards...and all the other nooks and crannies? I've never seen so many shirts in my whole life!
October 22, 2006 06:35PM
Although I spent a lot of money in stores through the day, I think most of the money we spent was in restaurants and bars. We are known by bartenders all over NY as my husband tips well. We were in New York for 14 nights and went out 13 of those, many nights not getting home till early morning. My poor husband had to go to work each day, I don't know how he did it. Although I think I expended as much energy meeting my son for lunch each day and sometimes breakfast as well, and then shopping.

I usually take a mild sedative when flying because I find it difficult to sleep on the plane. Not this time, I slept in the taxi to JFK, in the lounge at JFK, most of the way from NY to Tokyo, in the lounge in Tokyo for about 2 hours of the 3 hour stopover, all the way from Tokyo to Seoul and then in the car from the airport to our apartment, no sedatives needed, just absolute exhaustion.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 8?
Online Users

Guests: 4