what should I do with my german friends when they come?

Posted by Kelly 
what should I do with my german friends when they come?
September 09, 2006 08:29AM
hi all,
a couple people I know from Germany are coming to visit in October. I have to keep them busy for 4 full days. They speak absolutely no english, they are about 55-60 years old, this will be their first airplane trip in their lives, and they are going to be totally overwhelmed by New York City. I was thinking of definately doing one of those bus rides around the city where they can put on headphones and hear the explanations of everything in German. Maybe do that the first day. Also, I have to take them to a steak house, for sure.

I'm looking for other ideas....
Thur-Sun all day!

They have no ideas for anything specific they want to do.
Empire State building or Top of the Rock observation deck
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Times Square at night
Statue of Liberty / Ellis island
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge - WTC site
Rockefeller Center and 5th Avenue

This would be more than enough to keep them busy

Re: what should I do with my german friends when they come?
September 09, 2006 09:55AM
Are you solely responsible for the group, planning all their activities and transportation? What kinds of things do they like -- architecture, history, etc. Hopefully you'll have nice weather to do a couple of walking tours. The German lower east side, and of course, Yorkville. I took a tour of 8th St. & St. Mark's many years ago that focused on the German history of the area.

Probably shows are out because of the language, but perhaps a concert? See who'll be playing at the Blue Note or the upscale places like the Carlyle, if that's something that might interest them.

Boat rides? Ferry or dinner cruise?

Obviously, Central Park.

Anything you show them will be incredible, I'm sure, since they've never traveled.
September 09, 2006 10:10AM
For sure take them on a cruise around Manhattan. Take them to the Neue Gallery on 86th - it's all German and Austrian art. And here's a web site for all things German in NYC.
[www.germanyinnyc.org]

And, break out the lederhosen—it’s time to celebrate Oktoberfest in NYC.

1. Zum Schneider
From October 1 through 16, owner Sylvester Schneider serves special German dishes, imports a couple of seasonal brews from Munich, and even plays in his own oompah band.
107–109 Ave. C, at 7th St.; 212-598-1098

2. Loreley
The owner modeled this restaurant and biergarten on the brewpubs of Cologne, where he grew up. On October 1, he celebrates Oktoberfest as well as the joint’s second anniversary.
7 Rivington St., nr. chrystie st.; 212-253-7077

3. Lederhosen
Through October 3, men who show up at Manhattan’s newest biergarten in lederhosen and women wearing traditional dirndls get a free drink—and lots of funny looks.
39 Grove St., nr. Bleecker St.; 212-206-7691

4. Hallo Berlin
It’s like an Oktoberfest party every day at this venerable West Side spot, where the owner takes particular pride in his wursts (not to mention his “wurst” menu puns).
626 Tenth Ave., nr. 44th St.; 212-977-1944

September 09, 2006 04:56PM
what is a good place to enter Central Park? What would you say is a good walk through central park?

Oracle, yes, I am responsible for them from morning til night, they are staying with us.

Zum Schneider is a good idea.

I have to get an itinerary together!
September 10, 2006 08:51AM
There are so many great paths through the park. If the weather cooperates, I'd go Thursday or Friday to avoid the crowds. Go see the zoo, then walk up the east side to the Conservatory Water (model boat pond). If the Pale Male fan club is out (he's usually sitting on a bench on the west side of the pond -- you'll see the telescope), they might like taking a peek and learning his and Lola's story. www.palemale.com

On the west and north sides of the pond are Hans Christian Andersen and Alice in Wonderland. Then, just to the west, cross the road and you're at the Boathouse. Perfect for lunch, or, if it's later in the day, it's fantastic to sit under a tree or lakeside and have a cocktail.... a great resting spot. Or just rent rowboats and explore the lake.

From there stroll around the entire lake, around the Hernshead, and then up through the Ramble. You can exit at Belvedere Castle and the Shakespeare Garden. See all the turtles in Turtle Pond, walk around the Great Lawn. If everyone's feet are still holding up, you can continue up the east side and then go around the reservoir. Further up is the Conservatory Garden. The bloom season will be mostly done, but the Harlem Meer will be spectacular.

I just love window shopping along Madison Avenue. I'd start at 96th and walk down. All down the avenue (especially in the 60s-70s) there are also wonderful little restaurants, perfect if the day is nice to sit outdoors. If they've got children to buy for, make sure you stop in the toy shop next to Eli Zabar's E.A.T. on Madison between 80th-81st.

If they like architecture, stroll along some of the side streets between 5th and Madison. I can find some info on my office computer I can send you on specific blocks.
September 10, 2006 03:15PM
thanks Oracle.

I hope we can avoid the empire state buiding. I don't really want to do that.

one day I will do this:

get out of the train (we take the 7 into the city) at grand central and have a look around here. Tours are out because I don't want to have to translate everything. Take the 6 train to 23rd St, get out. Walk around Madison Sq Park, see that area. Continue walking down to Union Sq. Go there on a day when the farmers market is on. See that area. Continue down on university place and see NYU and washington square park. Continue down broadway ALL THE WAY through SoHo, Chinatown, Tribeca, to Ground Zero. See that. Go to the staten island ferry. I'm lazy and will discourage actually going to the statue of liberty, will convince them that doing the staten island ferry is sufficient. Come back, walk over brooklyn bridge from manhattan side. Maybe on the way there if we have time see South Street Seaport. Walk over bridge, see brooklyn heights, and either eat pizza at grimaldis or take the train over to williamsburg to show them where i used to live and eat over there at planet thai or somewhere. I think that is one full day. think that is do-able in one day?

another day I will do this:

get out of the train at bryant park and see that and go into the library (I've never been inside the library!). Walk up fifth ave, see rockefeller center, st patricks, etc. See FAO schwartz and apple store. go over to AOL building and see that. Actually, the one and only thing they've said they are interested to see is a grocery store in new york. I will bring them to my crappy key food by my apartment, then I will show them whole foods at AOL. Go into central park. spend lots of time there. Go to dinner at Keen's. See times square at night.

I have to think about the two other days, need to fit in east village and eat at Katz's Deli, see Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Macy's, Bloomindale's, walk around upper west side, and more. We will sample as many pizza slices as possible throughout the trip, because I've always told them that pizza in germany sucks.
The Brooklyn Botanical Gardens will need no translation.

A couple of German oriented things would be okay, but that is not what they came to the U.S. for. I think the tour Oracle mentioned that focused on German History would be great.

Any musical event is also very good. Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, or just a nice club that has great music. The Blue Man Group does not talk (I think), and would be funny and understandable. Drumstruck looks like a good musical to take them to [www.broadwaybox.com]

Don't worry so much about language. I have been to Japan several times and seen plays at the Kabuki each time, understanding little of the language and but understanding much of the story. Same with watching t.v., plots are easy to follow, who's the good guy, who's the bad guy, and how long will it take till they fall in love or catch the killer.

Sporting events are also easy to understand.
September 12, 2006 07:18PM
If you want to see a Broadway show, there are quite a few (mostly musicals, I think) that offer the "ShowTrans" system, which translates the show via headphones. I'd suggest calling the theatre box office to see what languages are offered.
September 14, 2006 08:51PM
I like your walking tour. Don't forget to bring them to St. Paul's when you come from the World Trade Center site.
www.saintpaulschapel.org

And I love your pizza tour! I try to take tourists to grocery stores, too, especially our tiniest, crappiest ones. I had one tourist buy a jar of instant coffee, because they'd never seen such a tiny size, they thought it was "adorable." Hey, if they like food, take them through Fairway and Zabar's.

Salsa's got a great idea with sports. Check the Knicks' schedule.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 3