moving from manhattan to astoria

Posted by lm4883 
moving from manhattan to astoria
September 07, 2006 01:50PM
I am considering moving out of Manhattan. I have lived here for a year, and now my landlord is raising the rent 12% which would be $3025 for a 1 bedroom converted to 2. This is out of my budget, so I am considering moving to Astoria. The rents are a lot cheaper but I am wondering where the best places to live in Astoria are? I would like to be close to the subway, as well as close to shopping and restaurants. Any ideas on how to make this search easy and efficient? Any advice on good rental agencies to use?
Re: moving from manhattan to astoria
September 07, 2006 06:28PM
Red will certainly reply to this one when he sees it...he lives there and usually has nothing but positive things to say about Astoria.
Red
September 08, 2006 08:44AM
(choke) $3025? For $3025 you could get FIVE bedrooms in Astoria.

There are basically three desirable zones in the neighborhood. Go get a map, I'll describe some boxes.

If you're interested in "urban and multicultural," you want to be between Crescent and Steinway Streets e/w, and between 34th and 28th Avenues n/s - preferably on one of the blocks just off 31st Avenue. That puts you between Broadway and 30th Avenue, the two most vibrant and fun retail strips in Astoria, full of restaurants and shops from all different cultures. Don't live east of Steinway or west of Crescent.

If you're looking for something a little more laid back, go for the blocks immediately off Ditmars Boulevard, anywhere between 23rd and 37th Streets. That puts you near the Ditmars subway station at 31st and Ditmars. Ditmars is also a shopping/dining strip, but it's a bit quieter and more "old-school" Italian/Greek than the intensely multicultural strips at 30th and Broadway. (I live just off 30th and love it.)

The third nice zone, the blocks immediately fronting on Astoria Park, isn't very near the subway, so it will probably interest you less.

As for rental agencies, just walk along 30th and Broadway between 31st and Steinway Streets and sign up at all of them. You'll find plenty. You can also walk down side streets and buzz superintendents in apartment buildings which look nice to ask them if they have any places available. I found my place five years ago through an agency at 35th Street and 30th Avenue.
September 08, 2006 11:55AM
thanks so much red. I am planning on visiting the neighborhood next weekend. Walk around and see what neighborhoods interest me and sign up with some rental agencies.

and yes 3025!! its ridiculous. i can't bring myself to fork over that much cash. I am ready to have my own place, after living with roommates for four years and i think i will be able to do that with the prices in astoria. (and still be close to manhattan where i work...and play!) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 11:59AM by lm4883.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 8