dressing a man for business

Posted by maureen 
dressing a man for business
August 29, 2006 01:16PM
I have a question about how to dress my husband for business meetings. I live in Indiana and many of the older business men around here look ridiculous in my opinion. My husband is in his early 30s, but his position at work (part-owner) has him dealing primarily with men who are 50-plus years old. The President of his company recently suggested that for upcoming meetings with prospective clients that they dress nicer than usual(they are usually casual or business casual) and specifically used the term "sport coat". I just don't get the sport coat look. Do people really still do that---wear a sport coat with pants of a different color? I just sent him to Baltimore this morning in a regular black suit.

I want him to be up to date because he has business everywhere from California to New York, and everywhere in between, with a large portion in the Midwest and the South. On the other hand, he wants to fit in with the older guys, not drawing attention to himself as being so young. Is there a look that will be OK all across the US with both older and younger crowds? Does age even matter? Also, if a suit is the way to go, what colors are best and what should he avoid?

Sorry this was so long---I just need some guidance here!
Re: dressing a man for business
August 29, 2006 03:05PM
It really depends on what type of business he is in, and what is expected of him corporately.

I work for an international real estate company with world headquarters in NY. I live in Denver which is a more casualcity. However we are expected to dress VERY corporate. Suits for men, sport coats are for casual Friday. No capris or short pants for women, even on casual Friday. A suit for a man can look casual or ultra conservative by the accesories he uses. Our regional mgr always looks crisp and professional (he is upper 50's), but has fun with his ties, by either color or design. Yesterday it was a bright green silk with tiny ducks on it. He wears light colored suits on warm days, and dark suits the rest of the year. He just walked in and is wearing a light colored suit, blue shirt, yellow silk tie with tiny blue squares the color of his shirt.

Then we have a young man who meets with clients all day who is in his early 40's who has always worn the dark blue or black suit, white shirt,conservative tie, and his handkercheif is folded perfectly with the points flared. This guy meets with people who need class A down to class C office space. Dresses for class A.

Same company, different styles, both very proffesional. I think a person who is dressed up for business is always admired, and never criticized.
August 29, 2006 04:15PM
Just picked up BusinessWeek magazine. They were thinking of you! When at the grocery store flip to page 44. The cover story is REVEALED! SECRETS OF THE MALE SHOPPER It might give you some ideas.
August 29, 2006 04:37PM
Thank you so much! Your advice goes along with what I was thinking, you can't really be over dressed at a meeting. I have never asked a question before, but I love this website...I have visited a few times. I was in New York in 1998 and just had the time of my life over those short 3 days. I am planning another trip for this fall or winter and I just can't wait!
August 30, 2006 07:14AM
My husband has worked all over the world, including New York, for many different companies and as a rule for meetings would always wear a suit, you can't go wrong.
August 30, 2006 07:28AM
Personally I like the three button vs the European cut which has four buttons and more of a liesure suit vibe. The black suit is classic with a nice pair of black loafers. Nothing clunky. Shoes make the man smiling smiley A white Brook Brothers french cut shirt and cuff links...and a stylish power tie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 09:58AM by askanewyorker.
August 30, 2006 09:55AM
Black suit,black shirt and a silver coloured tie. Wow the chicks
August 30, 2006 02:21PM
LOL! Kennedy, I am so glad you said shoes make the man. I think they make the person myself. My husband on the other hand always says "women look at shoes, men never do, they look at watches". I do notice when a guy has on a nice pair of shoes, especially with style. To me it shows he goes for extra detail.
August 31, 2006 08:42PM
I've been told, and experience holds true, that the first thing evidenced by those of the fairer sex is the hands.

Get a manicure. Use lotion.

Meanwhile, a suit is always better than a sportcoat for most business meetings, and please, not black unless he is super thin.

September 01, 2006 02:26PM
Yes on the manicure, even if it's only given to you by you!
August 11, 2009 07:16AM
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 9?
Online Users

Guests: 9