how do you define an expert?

Posted by louisem 
Re: how do you define an expert?
August 30, 2006 07:00PM
How do you define a New Yorker? I'm born here, and hereby use my authority to grant the KMs, Daisiegee, Salsa, Marea, and a few others the title of New Yorker, by virtue of their knowledge, insight into the city, wit, charm, and CIVILITY! So, there!
August 30, 2006 08:20PM
I second everything that Oracle just stated.
August 31, 2006 04:21AM
Thanks Leigh,once again another one ofmyposts has just vanished. Has AAKY go something against me?????
August 31, 2006 04:56AM
which post was that? I'm being pretty careful. Nothing against you TPM, really.
August 31, 2006 05:20AM
tpm45..are you referring to your post on this thread that had nothing to do with NYC? That was about the UK? Gee, wonder why it would be removed? smiling smiley
August 31, 2006 06:32AM
Thankyou Oracle.

Louisem, although now resident in Australia (till Monday when I move to South Korea) I lived in New York for a while and considered myself a temporary Newyorker. One of my sons is now living in New York and my husband and I are hopefully moving back there after May next year so I feel that I can give accurate answers to questions about New York. Also while I lived there I had a constant stream of visitors from Australia so am well informed about tourist sites and the sort of things that visitors want to know.

Kennedy who started this site and his wife Kelly both live in New York as do Oracle and Red and many other contributors.
August 31, 2006 07:10AM
Loiusem I was refering to the post asking Dgee if she knew anything about discounts for the top of the rock. Hooooowever I did mention something about a certain NUFC. This is a soccer team supported by Billlllions of people worldwide,thought I would just mention it as Dgee hubby sopports them along with a few others on this site. Coming to NY this Tuesday 5Sep.

Will be in Times square around 10pm if anyone wants a drink on me.
August 31, 2006 08:00AM
I'm with Oracle - well said!
August 31, 2006 08:08AM
tpm45 would love to meet you for a drink but unfortunately will miss you by a few weeks, it looks like we will be arriving in New York on the 3rd October and staying for 2 weeks.
August 31, 2006 02:44PM
Good luck on the move Marea!!
August 31, 2006 03:52PM
Uncle Tony may have to be called to keep this thread on track...girls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2006 03:52PM by askanewyorker.
August 31, 2006 09:04PM
Or the quintessential,
"Are you a New Yorker?"

I was an occassional vistor from the Catskills when I realized that waiting for a bus on Madison Ave could be much more engaging with a few shared kvetches about New York. It works, try it next time you are in town. (Gently)

After I had lived here for a couple of years and learned to scam, to love, to enjoy every precious inch of a 300 ft hardwoodu studio w/ marble fireplace, to be grateful for ice and quarts of milk at the corner bodega, to befriend the local 80 yr old Met painter garretting(sp?) across the street at the top of his brownstone, and to marvel at who was awake at 4 a.m. and everyone eating breakfast at 11 a.m. and why weren't they at work? and how beautiful and exciting everyone was and then all the people so interesting of everykind everywhere, and just the hope everywhere in everyone, even on the 9 from Bronx to Brooklyn at 5 a.m. nodding asleep... with hope...

I don't know, I think anybody with hope and energy and concentration is a New Yorker.

Oh yeah, and anybody who is in love, can love, loves.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 9