how do you define an expert?

Posted by louisem 
how do you define an expert?
August 26, 2006 09:42PM
I have been reading this forum for awhile, but find it interesting that many who answer questions are not from NYC. I am not saying that they cannot give good advice, but I'm wondering how many times has someone, such as Daiseegee actually been to NYC? I just guess I'd like to know if the people answering the questions really have the authority to do so.
Re: how do you define an expert?
August 27, 2006 01:28AM
Coming to this forum is like visiting New York everyday! Between what we learn and remember here, and what we experianced for ourselves, we are able to help a lot of people, as I am sure you noticed. We are New Yorkophiles and are in love with the city and it's people.
August 27, 2006 02:38AM
I have seen this issue on other boards. Please know that there are experiences and perspectives unique to the traveler that can be shared with other travelers. Having feedback from both NYC locals and visitors is the best of both worlds!
August 27, 2006 04:25AM
I've been to NYC quite a few times now, and wouldn't say I had "authority" to answer questions , but often the advice from a visitor can be especially useful in the case of lodgings as the majority of locals don't have the need to stay in hotels themselves. I personally think this is true of restaurants as well. Residents of NYC have such a huge choice of fantastic eating places and where I live it's pretty slim pickings. I might go somewhere and be bowled over by it, whereas a local (because of their choices) may not even consider that place. I love to read of other visitors opinions and experiences.

I'm with Daisiegee on this one. There are a million different experiences to be ejoyed in NYC, and quite often it's nice (and helpful) to offer a different perspective on things.
August 27, 2006 07:43AM
Ask a New Yorker agrees wholeheartely with the enthusiastic visitor who share valuable and thoughtful information on NYC. Certainly anyone can disagree or improve upon a posting. But the true energy of Ask a New Yorker are all the people that have a deep connection with the city. PS Daisiegee and Sasla are terrrific contributors and we are proud to have them vist this site so regularly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2006 08:44AM by askanewyorker.
August 27, 2006 09:56AM
Awwh, thanks KM! See you on the 26th.
August 27, 2006 10:03AM
first of all an on-line expert is anyone with an opinion ;-)

The reality is that people who visit NYC frequently often times have a better insight into those topics that forum posters most frequently inquire about.

For instance, I live in Brooklyn. What the hell do I know about staying in hotel in mid-town Manhattan that will cost less than $200/night. Answer: absolutlely nothing.

For on things of particluar interest to tourists, people who visit frequently often times have the most up-to-date info.

What's the cost of the ticket to the TOTR? Are there any discounts available? Damned if I know - but I bet Daisiegee does.

Things to do in Brooklyn? Ask me. Michelin starred restaurants where you can spend your children's inheritance and have great food? Ask me.

Best way from the UES to the SOL ferry - haven't a clue, but I bet Salss knows.

Experts combine personal experience with reading on the topic and intense interest in the subject.

Buy the way did you hear about that new museum in Paris?
August 28, 2006 10:05AM
Wow, great respones by all. Thanks for the kudos KM, you are a sweetie.
August 30, 2006 07:32AM
I understand all of that...thank you for the replies tho. Just still seems odd this is called "ASK A NEW YORKER", and non-new yorkers respond. this isn't ask a Britisher. Although I am sure there is helpful advice offered, it still seems false advertising...there are other forums that are answered by non-New Yorkers. This is titled to imply New Yorkers are answering. True?
August 30, 2006 11:09AM
Wow! Louisem .. if you have such a problem with folks helping each other out why do you view this website? I'm not a native New Yorker (I wish!) but I have contributed to this forum, just as I have read so many great tips from others who post .. regardless of whether they actually are New Yorkers or not.

ps tpm45 .. Are you from NE England? Nice to see NUFC mentioned on here! yeay!
August 30, 2006 11:18AM
louisem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand all of that...thank you for the
> replies tho. Just still seems odd this is called
> "ASK A NEW YORKER", and non-new yorkers respond.
> this isn't ask a Britisher. Although I am sure
> there is helpful advice offered, it still seems
> false advertising...there are other forums that
> are answered by non-New Yorkers. This is titled
> to imply New Yorkers are answering. True?

What's the BIG deal???

As long as the answers, are CORRECT, that's what counts!

Would you rather a "real New Yorker" gave you an answer that turned out to be false?

As for false advertising, the guy who started this website is apparently a New Yorker and that's why he chose the domain name he did.

The website has grown with mostly helpful contributions from lots of folks. If he (who is footing the bill for this website) doesn't have a problem with it, then you can either "go with the flow" or leave.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 9