New Yorkers #1 in Friendliness(Today Show)

Posted by Brady 
Did anyone see the Today Show today? Readers Digest did a poll and conducted a test worldwide to see how friendly/rude people were. They did the following: Door test(who will open/hold the door for you) Document Test(when dropped,who will help you pick it up) and the Service Test(who greets you,etc). NEW YORKERS WERE #1!! Way to go guys! I definitely experience that when Im there! Check out the video on msnbc.com -Brady
Re: New Yorkers #1 in Friendliness(Today Show)
August 24, 2006 11:23AM
And anybody who says differently wii get the crap knocked outta 'em! ;-)

I can't find the souce right now, but I read in a recent travel survey, that London residents were voted the least friendly to tourists and that Brits and Germans were voted the most rude tourists.
I heard Boston was the rudest in the U.S., maybe I might want to rethink attending the eBay convention there next year.
Yeah, on the video it shows a girl on some London street and she was asking if anyone had the time and they all just walked by her as if she weren't there! When I was in NY a woman walked out of her way to show my me and my husband the street we needed to take! We thanked her profusely and she said it was no big deal..that someone had done it for her when she moved to NYC ten years ago. Pay it forward people!! -Brady
I found everyone I met in NY to be very helpful. One guy even sorted out the money for us to get a bus....as you had to have the correct change, and walked us a couple of blocks to the bus-stop!

Nobody in this country would do that, I'm sorry to say.
Maybe in some of those small midwest towns...but it is remarkable in a city so large,so full of people from every nationality and every walk of life, that it is such a friendly city...says alot!
August 24, 2006 03:27PM
I have to say that I've met very friendly people in every US city I've visited. San Francisco and New Orleans stand out ( with New York) as having locals who go out of their way to help. Didn't really meet any Bostonians, but no-one was rude at all. Wonder how those folks in Denver will fare on the scale? winking smiley
Talking about the UK, I do think that people are less friendly the nearer to London you get.

I know that is a sweeping statement, but in the north-east where I used to live, the folk were SO much friendlier. Anybody would stop and chat to you and give you a bit of help.

Or has that all changed over the last few years Daisiegee?
August 24, 2006 03:56PM
I wouldn't want to open the North/South divide thing, but we North Eaterners do have a reputation as being friendly.I'm a friendly lass! Closer to London they don't seem the same, but that may be due to the pace of life, who knows. That said, there's no-where I've been that's faster than NYC and the same can't be said for that city.
I would say all 2.6 million of us in the Denver metro area are SUPER friendly. I can't wait for you to find that out Daisiegee! Counting the days!! We have so many conventioneers here I am always giving directions, asking if someone needs help, or giving spontaneous tours as I travel our free shuttle at lunch.
August 29, 2006 10:43AM
A paper here in Belgium recently published an article about the study Brady mentioned. I was happy with that because everytime I praise New York in a conversation, people look at me as if I were out of my mind (of course, THEY have never been to NYC). It's a pity they're getting a picture of it by watching TV mostly. They think there is crime on each street corner at every minute, that people only eat hamburgers, that New-Yorkers (and Americans in general) are rude, ignorant, that the architeture is horrible and inhumane, and stuff...

Whether in a shop, public service, hotel, theater or people I asked on the street, I've never been so politely and efficiently served or helped. I only saw smiles on the faces and never saw somebody shouting or getting mad (not specifically at me but at other New-Yorkers in general). People indeed hold the door when I was walking next and even a 50-something man with his wife let us go first in a queue so politely because they couldn't find something in their bag and were losing time.

All at such an extent I was truly amazed. Never saw that anywhere else in the world.
My daughter made her fisrt visit to NYC in March and she came back soo impressed on how all New Yorkers were soo friendly...she was realy impressed.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 6