wedding meal

Posted by Lisa Edwards 
wedding meal
August 18, 2006 08:56AM
Hi

I am coming to NYC in February 2007 as getting married in Central Park. In total there will be 8 of us travelling from the UK and I am looking for a suitable restaurant for the wedding meal.

It either needs to be late afternoon (with suggestions of something to do afterwards) or somewhere for the evening.

thanks

Re: wedding meal
August 18, 2006 07:42PM
Are you looking for a private room? What sort of budget? The most frequently recommended location is the beautiful River Cafe. No private rooms but many wedding dinners. Take a look at their menu on www.rivercafe.com. It's on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge, so you'd need two cars to get there. It's worth the effort though.

There are many options nearer the park. One thing, though, is that most restaurants are open for lunch, then close until 5:30 or 6:00 when they serve dinner. There are lots of swanky places, but very expensive.

Where in the park are you planning your wedding? Are you aware that it could be seriously cold in February?
Rob
August 19, 2006 08:17AM
A wedding in Central Park in February? You could dress for the cold weather and it will certainly be quite cold. In February, however, the park can be covered with snow.
Red
August 20, 2006 10:57AM
I agree that you should rethink an outdoor event in NYC In February, seriously. February is traditionally our coldest, snowiest month - temperatures are regularly below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Our daughter was born on Valentine's Day, and it took us an hour to drive four miles to the hospital because the roads were covered with snow and slush. Do you really want your wedding photos filled with people in heavy parkas?
August 20, 2006 10:16PM
That had to be nerve racking for Mom & Dad to be! A fellow Aquarian! What a sweetie she is already smiling smiley
August 21, 2006 06:45AM
You've got to love us Aquarians.

I also agree with Red re: the location of the wedding in February. The biggest snow storms in recorded history in New York have been over the last 3 years in February. You might be lucky and only have light snow but really cold, cold conditions or you may end up with a blizzard.
August 21, 2006 08:34AM
i came to NYC in February a few years ago so i'm well prepared for the snow, and how cold it can be. the ceremony is taking place in Belvedere Castle so atleast we won't be outside for all of it.

we were thinking of going on a dinner cruise round the island - any recommendations?
Red
August 21, 2006 10:27AM
How cold can it be? It can be VERY COLD. Really. Quite cold indeed.

The driving to the hospital was nerve-wracking - and then the hospital was overcrowded and we were stuck in triage! But it all turned out OK, obviously.
August 21, 2006 10:35AM
congrats on your wedding...there are a one or two restaurants actually in central park...
Park view at the boathouse inside central park...I think its carribean and american...
and of course the famous tavern on the green...people have wedding receptions there all the time...
central park in the winter....hmmm..... good luck
August 21, 2006 12:23PM
I am thinking cloaks,capes, and muffs, as in Louisa May Alcott's time. To put over parkas that is.
August 22, 2006 03:52AM
There is a large glitzy restaurant in Central Park called Tavern on The Green at 67th St & Central Park West. There is also the Boathouse in Central Park, but I am not certain it is open in the winter. Right near the park on West 67th St there is a very special restaurant Cafe des Artistes where there is original art on the walls of Howard Christy Chandler and beautiful flower arrangements abound...There is also Jean Georges at Central Park West & 60th St.
You do need reservations in advance for all of these restaurants. Let me know if you need their phone #'s.
Hope you have a wonderful wedding and enjoy our wonderful city.
August 22, 2006 05:54AM
A dinner cruise around the island?? what about hiring an ice breaker
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 5