time and distance

Posted by tpm45 
time and distance
August 14, 2006 04:03PM
How long does it take to stroll from 34th St West Side to south Central Park, on a nice day. Average fit adult who likes to walk.
Re: time and distance
August 14, 2006 05:25PM
Should be an easy walk, I would think no more than a half hour. I walked from 49th & Madison up to 90th & 5th in about 30 - 40 minutes. Was there before I knew it because I enjoyed looking at all there was to see on Madison Avenue.
August 14, 2006 05:59PM
30 min is about right, I agree
August 14, 2006 08:02PM
Traveling north-south, 20 blocks = 1 mile. The east-west blocks are longer and vary in length.
Rob
August 15, 2006 04:58AM
The walk will be less than one mile. Without stopping it will take less than 30 minutes
August 15, 2006 02:56PM
Thanks guys, that should not be a problem, Salsa tell me more about Madison Ave,what was so good to look at. I believe its between 5th Ave and Lexington. Now my wife likes to shop,but some of those Shops like Barneys,Saks and Bloomingdales are just a bit to pricey.

Is Macys very expensive to visit. I dont want to be paying 90 bucks for jeans and 150 for shoes. However if that area has reasonable shops in it Im sure my wife will find them. I was thinking of walking the length of 42 St up to the Chrysler building,then veer off up Madison,Lexington then down 5th Ave. I will be walking very fast indeed down 5th Ave. Mebbe even a jog.
Rob
August 15, 2006 03:29PM
New York is a great place to walk. To determine how far you walk use the following as a guide

Use this formula when walking within the area bounded by 14th Street in the south, 110th Street in the north and from river to river. This part of Manhattan is laid out in a grid.

Going north/south (Street to street) - 20 blocks is approximately one mile
Example: 52nd Street to 32nd St. - one mile

Going east/west (avenue to avenue) - From avenue to avenue one block is approximately equal to three north/ south blocks.

The other day I drove from Central Park West (8th Ave.) and 72nd St. to Amsterdam Avenue and 72nd St. At CPW I set the car odometer at Zero. The odometer read 3/10s of a mile, the equivalent of 6 north /south blocks. From avenue to avenue is equal to 3 north/south blocks

Madison Ave. is midway between Park (4th Ave,) and 5th Ave. and Lexington is midway between 3rd Ave. and Park (4th Ave.) so figure the distance as 1 1/2 north/south blocks.

Broadway runs in a southeast direction from 106th Street to 14th Street so don’t consider it in the equation. If , however, you going north/south walking along Broadway will save you time. For example, you have to walk from 5th Avenue and 23rd St. to 42nd Street and 7th Avenue if you walked directly up Broadway the distance walked would be just short of one mile. If you went north on 5th and then west on 42nd St. the distance walked would be 1 1/4 miles

Enjoy your walk.
August 15, 2006 04:16PM
How can I enjoy it with a wife who wants to stop in every shop, thats got shoes in the window
Red
August 15, 2006 04:34PM
Bring cell phones and tell her you'll meet her in Central Park at a certain time.
August 15, 2006 05:34PM
Macys has some very good sales. Take her to Daffys, Filenes or TJ Maxx for some bargains.
August 15, 2006 11:34PM
Madison Avenue has all the designer stores you see on t.v., in the movies, and in magazines.

I did not go into any stores, though I was tempted to go into Carolina Herrera and play pretend.

I just enjoyed seeing the shops, the architecture of some of the bldgs, there was one good block in particular, and how easy it is to walk from one place to another and still be around so many people.

It takes me the same amount of time to walk from my house to downtown Denver, but I would only run into maybe 10 people (waiting for the bus most likely) until I got to the last 10 minutes of my walk.
August 16, 2006 03:26AM
Thanks guys,you to Rob for the good description of alking and time.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 5