Fare hike again???????

Posted by nicky 
Fare hike again???????
July 30, 2006 07:32AM
I'm not a New Yorker (Not yet), but could the subway get any more expensive? I read about another proposed fare hike. I mean 2.00 each way , is that enough already?

If it gets any higher, there will be alot more New Yorkers walking.

Red
Re: Fare hike again???????
July 30, 2006 08:13PM
That isn't exactly an option for a lot of us, now that apartments near our jobs in Manhattan have become totally unaffordable. We'll just scrimp.
July 31, 2006 07:40AM
The subway in New York is so much cheaper and more effecient than the service here in Sydney, be grateful you have such a great system.
July 31, 2006 07:43AM
Marea
Your the best thanks for hanging in there...getting slammed bu spam as I type by this !@! spam...Got calls into tech people trying to fix problem. OOuch!!!
July 31, 2006 07:53AM
Sure beats walking from Brooklyn (I've done that too many times in the last 6 years to underestimate it!) The good news is you get discounts if you buy weekly or monthly Metro Cards, more if you are a senior.

And the really good news is that the fare hikes are a year away at least - see below . . .

New York Daily News - [www.nydailynews.com]
No hike? It's fare enough!
BY PETE DONOHUE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Thursday, July 27th, 2006

Subway, bus and commuter train riders won't have to pay higher fares until September 2007 - if at all next year, according to an MTA budget proposal released yesterday.
But the potential reprieve, which also would push back the scheduled hike of bridge and tunnel tolls in January, would come with a price.

The preliminary financial plan eliminates a repeat of last year's holiday fare discounts and envisions fewer subway trains during off-peak hours - meaning longer waits and more crowded cars.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Peter Kalikow said any fare increase next year would be minor.

"Our goal is to minimize it to the extent possible," Kalikow said, noting that the authority would seek more financial assistance from the governor and state Legislature before hiking fares.

The MTA is able to push back the previously planned fare hikes thanks to the higher-than-expected tax revenues. The tax-generated revenues have continued to defy expectations as the economy, particularly the real estate market, performs better than anticipated, said MTA Executive Director Katherine Lapp.

Under the budget plan, the MTA would finish this year with a $711 million surplus. But the surplus would dwindle to $36 million by the end of next year, thanks to soaring debt payments needed to cover past borrowing, rising fuel costs and other growing expenditures.

A deficit of nearly $1 billion is projected in 2008.

Cost-cutting measures outlined yesterday include increasing the scheduled gaps between subway trains on unspecified lines by as much as five minutes during off-peak hours.

Advocates for transit riders vowed a fight.

"We're going to see what we can do to get rid of those service cuts," said Beverly Dolinsky, executive director of the New York City Transit Riders Council. "New York is a 24-hour city."

The budget also proposes using $100 million to pay for new safety and security measures, including intercoms inside subways with locked doors between cars. The intercoms would allow riders to better contact train crews in emergencies.

The MTA also plans to spend $5.2 million to place protective shields over subway car windows routinely defaced by vandals, officials said.

Meanwhile, a separate four-year financial plan released yesterday raised the specter once again of creating one-man train crews in 2008. Under the plan, conductors would be removed from the No. 7, J, M and N lines.

The plan also says the MTA will continue to seek legislative approval to consolidate its transit network, including merging Metro-North and the Long Island Rail Road into one entity.

July 31, 2006 08:41AM
The spam is driving me crazy, this morning I had to get through nearly 2 pages before I got to a legit post, most of them seem to come on overnight your time so I'm having to dig through them before you guys are online. I am now checking the last post and if it is not from someone I don't know as a regular I'm not opening it.

...and it's a lot cheaper than using the London Underground!
August 01, 2006 05:45AM
I've always found the fare prices reasonable as well..maybe not so much for a short journey, but there's no way you could travel as far on our transport system for that cost, and for 24 hours a day. Also, the unlimited Metrocards have to be the best deal ever!
August 01, 2006 08:11AM
In Sydney, Tokkyo and Seoul the farther you travel the more you pay, I think the subway in New York is great value, particularly for the longer trips.
August 01, 2006 08:40AM
It's the same with ours in the NE Marea. It's not one fare per ride, and they are horrendous costs too.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 2?
Online Users

Guests: 10