Moving to NY

Posted by Mark 
Moving to NY
July 03, 2006 12:42AM
I will be moving to New York from Australia in approximately 12 months with my girlfriend(for 12 months on an intercompany transfer).

From what I understand, I will be issued with an intercompany visa which allows me to work but she will only be issued witha tourist visa (which would mean she would have to leave the US and reenter after 6 months).

She is a fully qualified accountant and would like to work for the 12 months whilst we are there but as far as I know, she must get a job in the US before she leaves Australia and be "sponsored" by a US company. Ideally, she would like to do contract work for the 12 months we are there with an accounting firm.

Luckily we are provided with a midtown apartment free of charge so potentially she may not have to work however, for the boredom and home sick factor, we both think it would be wise for her to work.

Does anyone have any thought on this?

Would it be easy for her to get a contract position?

Can she work in US without a working VISA?
Re: Moving to NY
July 03, 2006 08:22AM
She can find work without a working visa. Just ask the millions of illegal aliens. Whether the job is one she wants, that is another story.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
July 03, 2006 09:39AM
Have you asked your company for help? If yours is a global company, you've probably got a department that supports expats.

If it really isn't possible for her to work, there are loads of volunteer opportunities. No need to be bored in New York!
July 04, 2006 01:30AM
If she is a qualified accountant and can get a job offer from an American company she should be eligible for an E3 visa, they aren't that hard for Australians to get, definitely ask your company if they can help.
July 08, 2006 10:50PM
I am an accountant and I work in public accounting. We have lots of consultants that come in and out especially during our busy season. The company we use most is siegfried. Might want to try Robert Half as well.
Check these links out: [www.siegfriedgroup.com]
[www.roberthalffinance.com]

Good luck, she can always try a headhunter when she gets here. I get about 2-3 calls a week from them. The accounting market is great here in NY.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 16