Safety on the Subway -- Please Read!!!!!

Posted by Rick 
Hi guys!

Just come back from staying in Queens (Queens Plaza, actually) and thought I would relay an experience that happened which turned out for the best, but could have been much worse.

After arriving in NYC at Penn Station, my daughter and I had telephoned the Comfort Inn on Crescent in Queens Plaza to find out which train would be the best to get there. We were told to take the "R" and then told, "Good Luck!"

Now, to explain: I had been to NYC at least ten times before this trip and was not concerned about the trains at all. Figured we'd get there with no problem at all. Little did I know ...

After getting the Metrocard, we boarded the R and headed for QP. When we arrived, the doors opened and I got off the train. The doors quickly closed and to my shock, my daughter, who has no experience on the trains by herself, saw the doors quickly close in front of her!!!

I tried to open the doors myself but was unable to do so. I panicked and stood there for a few seconds trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do next. As a side note, about two weeks before this, a disturbed man with a knife had attacked four tourists on one of the trains and was eventually subdued by other riders on the same train. I had no idea what was going to happen.

I decided to get hold of one of the TA workers and explained the situation. He told me that possibly my daughter had gotten off at the 59th St. station and was waiting for me there. I then explained that she did not know about the system and I was certain would not know about doing that. He advised me to go to the station and see if she was there. If not, contact one of the persons there for assistance.

Taking his advice, I then went to the next station and to my horror, my daughter was not there and I just assumed that she was still riding the train, not knowing hwo to get off and what to do.

By this time, my behavior alerted another of the workers and they told me that they would call the police. They also instructed me to go to the street level and attempt to contact my daughter because we both had cell phones and this would make it easier to find out where she was.

In trying to contact her, I quickly found out that there was NO service inside the tunnel for her, so I was eventually able to leave a voice mail. (In the meantime, several riders on the train she was on told her to get off at the next stop and take the train back one stop and that I was probably still there. As I explained before, I had gone to the 59th St. station and was no longer at QP.

My daughter had the sense that I apparently did not in that she went to the proper stop and immediately went to the main booth and stayed there. I eventually received her voice mail and found that she was not only okay, but was waiting for me at the stop we were originally both supposed to get off on.

When I finally arrived and saw her at the booth, I cannot tell you how happy I was! I was crying by this time (both out of relief and joy, I can assure you) and was extremely grateful not only to the TA employees but also to the wonderful people on the train that gave her the necessary advice to get us reunited.

I cannot express my thanks enough for what everyone has done. Thanks to their efforts and concern for my daughter's safety as well as my own sanity, an experience that could have been much worse turned out for the best.

Thank you New Yawkers!!!!
Re: Safety on the Subway -- Please Read!!!!!
July 02, 2006 12:23AM
How frightening for you...I'm glad it all worked out. You didn't mention your daughter's age.

This experience might prompt other visitors traveling with children...or adults...to discuss a plan of action should they become separated on the trains as you did. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2006 12:24AM by jeans.
July 02, 2006 08:38AM
So glad it worked out, what a frightening experience. I had a similar experience once, but it was laughable because my visiting friend was a 35-year-old attorney who got pushed back into the train by the crush of commuters. I managed to scream for him to get off at the next station.

Jeans is right, always have a plan of action.

And how nice that you discovered how friendly New Yorkers can be.

How was the rest of your trip?
July 02, 2006 12:30PM
So glad everything worked out for, you must have been terrified. I've gotten on a train, only to discover the rest of my family were still on the platform...oops!
Hi guys!

Actually, the rest of the trip went just fine.

We decided to take the Grayline tour (downtown) and had a wonderful time. Shopped till we dropped.

Ate at Fratelli Quatro in Little Italy (am curious... has anyone else had the experience of eating there?); shopped at Purdy Girl in Greenwich Village; walked down Canal Street and saw the many, many shops there.

On Thursday morning, got up and took the R to NBC Studios and actually got in the second row at the Today show. It was very interesting to see the "behind the scenes" action of a television program. Also, got to see Campbell Brown, David Gregory, Al Roker and Natalie Morales more up close and personal than we had ever seen them before.

Incidentally, Jeans, my daughter just turned 15. Her first reaction was, "okay, what the hell happened and what do I do now?" Luckily, those wonderful NY'ers were her guardian angels in disguise.

Also, I forgot to mention: when getting on the subway, a rule of thumb that was explained to me by the Transit Authority persons was-

Have the most experienced subway traveler among you enter the train FIRST. This will ensure that if the doors close, the less experienced traveler(s) will stay at the platform and will then either go to the booth and alert personnel there of the situation or will allow them to try to contact the experienced person (you will have to reach street level for this) by cell and give instructions at to their location so that you can be reunited.

When exiting the train, allow the least experienced traveler(s) to exit FIRST. This will also ensure that the least experienced will then be able to go to the nearest booth and alert personnel of what just took place and start appropriate response.

Allow the most experienced rider to come to you and not you to them. They will know the system and be able to come more quickly if a similar situation occurs.

Thanks,

Rick
July 03, 2006 09:48AM
That advice makes perfect sense. I'll add that you should all remain alert, and not get so engaged in conversation that you aren't aware of what's around you. I interrupted a thief in the London underground when I saw him reach into a girl's bag and lift her wallet. She was chatting with her friend, completely oblivious to the guy. I yelled at him to return the wallet, which he meekly did and then ran off the train. Guess my street smarts paid off.

Glad to hear the rest of your trip went well. Actually, I'm sure the subway incident will turn out to be the most memorable experience of your trip.

I've never heard of Fratelli Quatro, but I don't eat much in Little Italy.
July 10, 2006 11:46PM
It is agreed that was a potentially frightening experience that could've been much worse. However, from the ending result, it's obvious your daughter knew what to do, and if she didn't, had no problem asking a local nyer where to get off at.......and simply wait for you.

As most visitors/tourists that've been to NYC know now, if you need any type of assistance, especially subway/bus information, there's an abundance of people you can ask that'll be happy to tell you what you need to know.

My last visit to Manhattan in April, I had little trouble getting around since it's my 2nd trip, and I've studied the subway system thoroughly, and keep a laminated copy of it in my photography vest just in case.

Nevertheless, on occasion, I still asked someone for directional info. I've yet to meet someone within reason that wasn't willing to answer a question.
First of all, they expect it in New York !!!

The pointers given for a group of travelers is very well advised. The most savvy traveler should be the one that takes the risk of getting separated.

It also sounds like your daughter's the one who kept her cool, and didn't panic. If travel & schedule plans are discussed thoroughly, it eliminates unccertainty.

Jeff
LOL!! Our family has a similar story! Glad to learn the proper way to ride.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 5