NYC Newbie tourist with a few questions

Posted by paula 
My 16 yr old daughter and I will be in NYC from June 6-13. I've never been to NY before, so this is a new and exciting experience for both of us! We are really excited about seeing the sights.

I have a couple of questions--first, I read the post a couple of lines down about taking a car vs a cab from the airport. Our hotel is in NJ. I have booked the Super Shuttle from Laguardia to the ports authority bus terminal,where we will take a bus from there to our hotel in NJ. But then I read that taking the shuttle back to the airport might not be a good idea.

I originally thought we could just take the bus/subway...would this be a good idea? (I do plan on buying a 7 day metrocard.) We only have 2 suitcases and a backpack--is it advisable to take luggage on a subway and a city bus? Our plane arrives at 530 pm, so is it really crazy rush hour time then? I have checked into car services and the other shuttles, but I don't want to pay $75 for a one way trip all the way to our hotel. It seems that when you cross the Hudson river the price really jumps. Should I stick with the shuttle?

Next--is it worth it (the wait) to go to the Statue of Liberty? We plan on taking the staten island ferry, where we can view the statue, but do you feel that the trip is something we shouldn't miss?

We have tickets to the Phantom of the Opera and Spamalot, and we plan on trying to rush tickets for other shows. Is it easier to get rush tickets to matinees or evening shows? Or is the difficulty just related to the popularity of the show itself? I think weekends would be really difficult to get tickets. Has anyone had luck getting rush tickets on weekends?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
Paula in Florida
Re: NYC Newbie tourist with a few questions
June 03, 2006 10:11PM
Take the taxi from LGA to Port Authority unless you feel you must experience the bus and subway combination; 5:30pm is right in the middle of rush hour.

Yes, it is crazy on both buses and the subways during rush hour. By the time you get to Port Authority, you should be hitting the end of rush hour, but doesn't mean there won't be lots of people.

Yes, a hired car from LGA to Newark will cost you $75+. Get a quote. But this is the most comfortable way to travel.

Of the shows that have rush tickets most are for students only. With some, you can buy up to 2 tickets. Your daughter needs to bring a photo ID.
Read up on the rush policies of the shows that have them over at Playbill.com; each show sets its own requirements.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Ya know, I've lived my whole life in NY and still haven't gotten to the statue of liberty. But I really want to.
I think you should try to make it. Also try going to the top of the Empire State Building.

As far as your commute. Alot of people take their luggage on the subway. If it's during rush hour, you most definitely will be pissing people off, but that shouldn't stop you from doing it. People will manage.

As far as the theatre. I don't really know what "rush tickets" are, but you can go during the weekday to the TKTS booth in Time Square. You can get same day discounted tickets.

Enjoy your stay!!
June 04, 2006 08:42AM
Rush tickets aren't exclusively for students. Here's a list of shows that offer rush, SRO and lottery tickets:
[www.playbill.com]

If you plan to use the TKTS booths, the waits are shorter at the South St. Seaport location, plus you can buy matinee tickets the day before. And note that the Times Square location has moved temporarily. For more info, go to www.tdf.org and click on the link for TKTS.

But a better idea might be to go to www.broadwaybox.com before you leave. From the links on the right side of their home page, you can access discount coupons for many shows. Print them all out and bring them with you. All you need to do is go to the box office and get your tickets, rather than waiting on line at TKTS. Just note that most discounts aren't valid for weekends.

I only use Super Shuttle coming home FROM the airport, and even then, every time I swear will be my last. I used them for years in California, where the service is friendly and efficient. I think the difference is that the vans are owner-operated out there, while here they're fleet operated, which means the drivers are hourly workers. Basically, they could care less. The worst service is going TO the airport. They're "supposed" to only pick up passengers within one zip code or neighborhood. Instead, they'll trek all over the borough, adding an hour and more to your trip. While that's bad enough, the drivers frequently don't know where they're going. I've heard of drivers abandoning the vans along the curb (without saying anything to their irate passengers) while they go off to get directions, or even take a break! I was on one journey (my last!) when I had to direct the driver downtown, and the passenger had been waiting more than an hour. There were six passengers, and I was the only one who made my flight. So, if you do use them going to your hotel, I sincerely advise you to use another service on your way back.

By the way, since you've got theater evenings planned, you'll need to know how to get back to your hotel at night. Check with the hotel to see what they offer. Just keep in mind that it's impossible to get a taxi afterward, as all the shows let out at the same time, so there are thousands competing for the few taxis around.

As for the Statue of Liberty, well, that's up to you. If you just want a photo op, take the FREE Staten Island Ferry. It's a 25-minute ride to Staten Island, past the Statue of Liberty (go to the right side for photos). You then get off the ferry, walk around and re-board back to Manhattan.
June 04, 2006 08:50AM
Yes, rush tickets aren't exclusively for students but most are.
I am not a student, yet on a budget, so I am always looking for shows that offer general rush. There aren't many.

SRO is not rush. With SRO tickets you stand for the entire show at the back of the theatre.

lottery is not rush. They pull names out of box. The chances of winning this are probably like 1 in 100 since with most lotteries you can buy two tickets if you win and there are only 25 or so seats.

+
+
+
+
stay in NJ to visit NYC --> [www.broadwayfocus.com]
Don't go to the statue of liberty if you're at all claustrophobic. And even if you're not, make sure to get on the very first ferry. It's super early, but trust me, really worth it. If you don't get to do this, don't sweat it, though...
July 11, 2006 01:10AM
Hi Paula;
Since your trip date has passed, I'm sure your first NYC trip was incredible. If you walked outside in Manhattan, you had a great time.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences.
I've been there twice, and plan not only on going again, but moving there one day.
E-mail me.

paula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 16 yr old daughter and I will be in NYC from
> June 6-13. I've never been to NY before, so this
> is a new and exciting experience for both of us!
> We are really excited about seeing the sights.
>
> I have a couple of questions--first, I read the
> post a couple of lines down about taking a car vs
> a cab from the airport. Our hotel is in NJ. I
> have booked the Super Shuttle from Laguardia to
> the ports authority bus terminal,where we will
> take a bus from there to our hotel in NJ. But then
> I read that taking the shuttle back to the airport
> might not be a good idea.
>
> I originally thought we could just take the
> bus/subway...would this be a good idea? (I do
> plan on buying a 7 day metrocard.) We only have 2
> suitcases and a backpack--is it advisable to take
> luggage on a subway and a city bus? Our plane
> arrives at 530 pm, so is it really crazy rush hour
> time then? I have checked into car services and
> the other shuttles, but I don't want to pay $75
> for a one way trip all the way to our hotel. It
> seems that when you cross the Hudson river the
> price really jumps. Should I stick with the
> shuttle?
>
> Next--is it worth it (the wait) to go to the
> Statue of Liberty? We plan on taking the staten
> island ferry, where we can view the statue, but do
> you feel that the trip is something we shouldn't
> miss?
>
> We have tickets to the Phantom of the Opera and
> Spamalot, and we plan on trying to rush tickets
> for other shows. Is it easier to get rush tickets
> to matinees or evening shows? Or is the
> difficulty just related to the popularity of the
> show itself? I think weekends would be really
> difficult to get tickets. Has anyone had luck
> getting rush tickets on weekends?
>
> Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.
> Paula in Florida

Jeff Smith
jeffreysmith@triad.rr.com
I have one quick question. I will be going to Port Authority bus station To await a connection to VT. After disembarking the bus at the Port authority and entering the building are there x ray machines and baggage screening for bus passengers?
Not when I last traveled by bus. There is, in fact, no security at all of any kind.
Thanks for the reply, red. How long since you last traveled there by bus? Any amenities there at all? As it has been many years since I rode the dog and will be traveling with my elderly mother. trying to make things as pain free as possible like meals and the like and watch and wonder if someone is going to depart me of my belongings!
I think it was last year, and I was taking a New Jersey Transit bus.

Port Authority does have amenities, in the shape of depressing fast food restaurants and a pretty good drugstore. The major issue there is that it is HUGE -- two block-long buildings connected by a corridor, and multiple floors. I guarantee it will be the single biggest, most confusing frickin' bus station you've ever seen. If you want to eat, go out to one of the places down the block on 42nd Street. But leave yourself half an hour to find your gate, especially if you're traveling with someone who doesn't walk fast.

The least safe part of Port Authority is the sidewalk outside, but I'd still keep an eye on my stuff when I'm in there.
Thanks again, Red. Will find my gate when I first arrive to avoid confusion. After all, I have about a 4 hour layover to find my correct gate! I would never leave anything I wanted to keep unattended, especially in NYC! Hopefully the food I ingest will not make me sick!Leave in 2 weeks. Greyhound.That about sums it up. A possible absolute hell.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 8