safety walking and taking subway at night

Posted by Roxanne Parks 
My teenage daughter and I are staying at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central for a week in June. We have tickets to a couple of Broadway shows, and want to know how safe it is to walk around mid-town at night. Is it safe for 2 women at 10 or 11 pm on a week night to walk back from Broadway? Is it safe to take subways at night? Is my unsophisticated 15 year old daughter safe walking around by herself during the day -- e.g., from the Hyatt to the public library, etc.?
Re: safety walking and taking subway at night
May 21, 2006 10:01PM
New York City is the safest large city in the US. It is very safe to walk around the theater district and midtown Manhattan well past 11 PM. There will be many people on the street. The subway is also safe. You may want to take a taxi instead of the subway after midnight although it is still safe but with less riders. As far as your daughter is concerned, I don't know what her experience is in big cities. The area you say she may be walking is very safe but she is only 15 and by herself.
May 22, 2006 03:08PM
During the day, I wouldn't sweat it. The library from the Hyatt is only a few blocks away. And there are TONS of people out on the streets.

Go over a map w/her & see if she can figure out north south east & west. I know this may sound dumb, but you'd really have to be brain dead to get lost in Manhattan, espically midtown where the streets are pretty much numbered north & south. And there are plenty of cops, military, 42nd St. guards, cleaning crews & nice strangers (is that an oxymoron?) to ask in case she does get lost.

I walked around at 15 at night by myself but I grew up here & have a mouth & a half on me so in that aspect if your daughter really isn't "sophisticated" I'd retink that.

I don't think I'd let my kid walk around here at night by themselves. Yes, its safe but there is still that element that lurks around. And if she LOOKS 15 (hey I looked 25 at 15) I'd really reconsider it. Street smarts are really the key to this city. You can get a 2000 on the SATs but if you can't handle the streets, you'll be in trouble. Just my philosophy.

My daughter is naive, but also very independent. She was 18 last year on our trip, and went several places on her own, including at night. She went from Chinatown to 80th & Lex one night on her own. She did have my cell phone which did give me piece of mind.

BX is right, get a map and go over it. Also in advance of your trip, go to hop stop, there is a link on the home page. you can get very good directions in advance, of places you know you are going to go to.
thank you for the helpful response!
May 28, 2006 09:41AM
I agree, it's quite safe. For getting home after theater, I'd either walk along 42nd Street, which is busier than lots of the side streets away from Times Square, or take a bus. It's not worth the fierce competition for a taxi when all the shows let out, and the bus is quite easy. You can take either eastbound bus on 42nd Street, the M42 or the M104. Both stop across the street from your hotel.
May 31, 2006 08:48AM
Yeah definately take the busier streets. I use to go to John Jay at night near Columbus Circle. I would walk over after work, which was rush hour so very busy. But at 9pm a lot of streets are dead, espically in the winter (which for you won't be a problem). I would have to walk back to the east side for the express bus but I ALWAYS walked down Central Park South on the south side (non park side). There are restaurants, hotels, buildings w/doormen. I always felt safe. I would NOT walk on the park side. That's just stupid!
July 11, 2006 01:51AM
Roxanne;
All in all, before midnight, I don't see much of a problem. If you stay in well lit areas or where alot of people traffic is at, you should be fine.
In daylight, it really doesn't matter where you are, you should be safe.

As a single guy with my 2nd trip to Manhattan this past April for one week, most nights I was out well past midnight. In areas where I did "feel" a bit uncomfortable, the smartest thing to do is simply keep your cool, walk fast (as if you know where you're going), ALWAYS LOOK CONFIDENT, and it'll pass.
If you'll have your cell phone with you, you should be fine.

In my personal opinion, this experience for you and your daughter will really give her a taste of NYC, but what life's really like. It'll stretch both of you.

I see no danger posed to both of you taking the subway after dark, as long as it isn't the wee hours after midnight. This is when people traffic is fairly low (for nyc), and the chance of not getting caught mugging someone is greater.
I rode the subway at all times, late at night, early early morning, and never felt threatened.
As a single guy, I just kept the attitude that I was ready to fight if someone wanted to mess with me. I also wasn't going to let it affect my enjoyment of being in NYC.
Two females don't take that view.
I still say you'll be fine if you stay in well lit areas. At Grand Central @ 5th ave, most of those streets are very well lit.

I hope you enjoy your trip immensely

Roxanne Parks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My teenage daughter and I are staying at the Grand
> Hyatt at Grand Central for a week in June. We
> have tickets to a couple of Broadway shows, and
> want to know how safe it is to walk around
> mid-town at night. Is it safe for 2 women at 10 or
> 11 pm on a week night to walk back from Broadway?
> Is it safe to take subways at night? Is my
> unsophisticated 15 year old daughter safe walking
> around by herself during the day -- e.g., from the
> Hyatt to the public library, etc.?

Jeff Smith
jeffreysmith@triad.rr.com
July 11, 2006 08:13AM
Eagles,
Most questions answered in one sitting. Great info!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 25?
Online Users

Guests: 4