HONEYMOON in NYC

Posted by Chris 
HONEYMOON in NYC
May 10, 2006 11:54PM
Okay. I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm combing websites galore doing my own research, but I'll be coming to New York in August for my HONEYMOON!!!

We're staying at the Marriott Marquee. We have tickets to see WICKED and PHANTOM of the OPERA.

But, other than that, we have nothing planned... other than the obvious honeymoon activities.

Also... NEITHER OF US HAVE EVER BEEN THERE! So, needless to say, I'm a little scared. Not accustom to big cities... much less gigantic ones.

SO... for 4 days and 4 nights, what would you recommend that we JUST HAVE TO DO!!

We're tremenous fun. Don't drink all that much. Young.

But, the most important thing to say is... we're not all that into THE TYPICAL TOURIST type things.

We're just looking to have time of our lives and we're not all that into OBSERVING things... we want to DO THINGS.

Thanks if anybody can help me.
Re: HONEYMOON in NYC
May 11, 2006 09:08AM
Hmmmmmmmm.......August when the air is so thick you can cut it w/a knife. When the streets smell of garbage....Sorry, now I'm ruining the romantic aspect of it all.

You could take a horse & carriage ride, providing the horses will be out (they MUST come in when the temps hit a certain degree). Or a walk thru Central Park could suffice.

There's the Circle Line....take the full tour. [www.circleline42.com]

Top of the Empire State & Rockefeller Center (moreso at night).

Check out [www.nycgovparks.org]
Things to do in the parks...we do have city pools bc Lord knows it gets hot here (unless you find a nice hydrant to hang out under...that's always fun...bring a coffee can w/you).

The Botanical Gardens in the Bronx or Brooklyn.

There are TONS of restaurants that have outside eating in the summer, which is nice.

There's a path along the Hudson River & the East River where you can watch the boats, people watch (which is always fun), maybe have a picnic.

I'm not too romantic.......now I'm out of ideas smiling smiley
May 11, 2006 12:25PM
I definitely second the idea of spending time in the park. There is always something going on--check out www.summerstage.org for a schedule of Central Park SummerStage events, many of which are free. Also, depending on when you're here, you might want to check out Shakespeare in the Park. This year in August they're doing Mother Courage, starring Meryl Streep. Tickets are free, and waiting in line for them is half of the fun!

Are you into museums? Even if the Met and the MoMa are too "touristy" for you, there are lots of others to check out--the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, the Transit Museum, there's even a Museum of Sex. One of my personal favorites is the Museum of the City of New York. Air-conditioned museums are a great thing if it's really hot, which as bxgrl pointed out, it WILL be in August.

A fun place to go after theatre or just for a late-night snack is Veniero's in the East Village. A little bit out of the way if you're staying in midtown, but definitely worth the trip (and the wait, but the line always moves fast!) if you like desserts.

Oh, and buy an unlimited MetroCard for the week--it's the cheapest way to get around the city and see the "real" New York.
May 12, 2006 05:46PM
The Cloisters is a great medieval museum (part of the Met)and there is a park Fort Tryon right next to it where you can look at a great view of the river. On the weekends it's full of sunbathers.
www.metmuseum.org/works_of_Art

I really enjoyed the bus ride from there to the Guggenheim.
May 13, 2006 04:27PM
Thanks for the tips. I don't think the heat will be too much of an issue for us. We're from the midwest where it gets into the 90s and hundreds. I'm sure it'll be cooler than here. The garbage though... yeah, I probably won't like that.

Thanks though.
May 14, 2006 05:21PM
Congratulations! And don't worry about the smells, you'll have a great time exploring the city. I'd suggest picking up a book on walking tours so you can explore on your own. The West Village is wonderful for discovering that special postage stamp-sized restaurant or irresistable boutique or antique shop, particularly west of 7th Ave., where the streets wind around and you'll easily get (happily) lost.

And of course spend lots of time in Central Park. If it's hot, run through a sprinkler, they're in most of the playgrounds. You can even find a list of playgrounds on the official site, www.centralparknyc.org. Rent a rowboat, or even a gondola, complete with singing gondolier. Can't get more romantic than that.

Even though you're not into drinking, enjoy the fabulous views from some of our swankier places. There's no law that says you must drink alcohol.

Take a subway to Brooklyn and walk back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset. Take a free ferry ride to Staten Island, you get great views of the Statue of Liberty.
May 14, 2006 09:30PM
Congratulations. August will be hot and sticky, but just try to make the most of it.

You asked for some interesting things to do: As for museums, the Cloisters is a great choice but will be a longish subway ride from the Times Square area, where your hotel is located. Still, if you have any interest in Medieval art, there is nothing like it in the U.S. Closer by, on Fifth Avenue is the Frick and the Guggenheim. The Whitney is on Madison Avenue. If you go to the Met, check out the rooftop where they have art on view.

The idea of going over the Brooklyn Bridge on the subway and walking back is a great one. If you do this, I suggest you stop at Grimaldi's (in an area of Brooklyn called DUMBO, very near the pedestrian steps for the bridge) for pizza (check guidebooks or the internet for address). They have some of the best pizza in the city.

You might also be interested in walking around some of Manhattan's historic residential neighborhoods, especially the West Village. Lots of charming restaurants to try along the way.

For shopping, you'll find interesting shops up and down the streets of Soho. If you are into fashion, many young designers have opend up shop in Nolita (North of Little Italy), especially around Mott and Mulberry streets.

Someone mentioned the Circle Line - this is a great way to orient yourself; consider doing it on the first day. My suggestion is the half island trip which is about 2 hours. It takes in all of lower Manhattan and you'll see the skyscrapers of downtown/Wall Street, the famous bridges, and the boat will go right up to the Statue of Liberty so you can take pictures (which IMHO is a much more pleasant way to see the S of Liberty - during summer there are long lines of tourists to board the busses to the island; I think it's good enough just to get up close to it).

For views of Manhattan, go to Top of the Rock in Rockefeller Center (you'll have a wonderful view and won't have to stand in the long, claustrophobic line for the Empire State Bldg).

There are a lot of evening activities at Lincoln Center so go on line and get a schedule. On some nights they have swing dancing in the big plaza in front of Lincoln Center.

Finally, if no one has mentioned it, check out the calendar for Summerstage at Central Park - lots of concerts (rock, pop, indie, popular, classical) and a real New York crowd.

Have a great trip.
May 15, 2006 05:00AM
Go to the Rainbow Grill for dinner and drinks. Magnificant view of the city and very romantic.

[www.rainbowroom.com]
mds
May 15, 2006 10:13PM
Have you considered PhotoTrek Tours (www.phototrektours.com). Youy have a private tour with dozens of photos around NYC of the two of you?
July 11, 2006 12:34AM
Chris;
I'm not from NYC, but've been there twice. For a honeymoon trip, Central Park is a must WITH the carriage rides.
But for one or 2 meals, I highly recommend dining at 2 french restaurants. Daniel on 63rd st on Upper East Side, & Jean-George's in Trump Intnl tower @ Columbus circle.
Yes, each meal with your new bride will cost you roughly $250-300, but you'll not only enjoy the food, but the atmosphere, etc, etc. This money although expensive will be well worth it all the way around. You should also tell the host/hostess of your honeymoon trip. They'll go out of their way to make it memorable for you. It's their pleasure.
Since you're trip is only 4 days, if money will be a bit tight, out of both I suggested, go to Jean-George's. It's so elegant.

Contratulations on your marriage.

Chris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay. I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm
> combing websites galore doing my own research, but
> I'll be coming to New York in August for my
> HONEYMOON!!!
>
> We're staying at the Marriott Marquee. We have
> tickets to see WICKED and PHANTOM of the OPERA.
>
> But, other than that, we have nothing planned...
> other than the obvious honeymoon activities.
>
> Also... NEITHER OF US HAVE EVER BEEN THERE! So,
> needless to say, I'm a little scared. Not accustom
> to big cities... much less gigantic ones.
>
> SO... for 4 days and 4 nights, what would you
> recommend that we JUST HAVE TO DO!!
>
> We're tremenous fun. Don't drink all that much.
> Young.
>
> But, the most important thing to say is... we're
> not all that into THE TYPICAL TOURIST type things.
>
>
> We're just looking to have time of our lives and
> we're not all that into OBSERVING things... we
> want to DO THINGS.
>
> Thanks if anybody can help me.

Jeff Smith
jeffreysmith@triad.rr.com
Baseball
July 11, 2006 01:09PM
If you want to feel like you really did something, make your hair stand on end, be among 'real' New Yorkers, you have no choice but to take in a Yankees game. I am a Mets fan, but even if you are not a baseball fan, the energy that Yankee Stadium holds is something special that hits you upon entering the stands. I suggest you take a strill around the stadium before finding your seats (imagine the great players of the past in their positions). Since they are most likely to still be enmeshed in a pennant race in August the game should be intense, too.
hello
July 29, 2006 11:38AM
<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2006 05:20PM by (n/a).
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Online Users

Guests: 8