What Do you call a native New Yorker?

Posted by Lou Carranza 
Hola!!

I was born in NYC and I am getting tattoo to honor my hometown and I've been tying to confirm a fact....Native New Yorkers are 'Knickerbockers' right??? My Dad and relatives, all native New Yorkers, are all pulling blanks on this one...any ideas??
Re: What Do you call a native New Yorker?
April 15, 2006 09:36AM
I'm not sure of that, Lou. Have you googled it? It might have to do with the Dutch. I'm sure it's mentioned in Russell Shorto's magnificent book The Island at the Center of the World. I've got the book somewhere around, I'll look for it later.

(Ignore silly children on this forum, they're just bored.)
That looks like a great book! I put it on my wish list.
April 18, 2006 01:18PM
It does seem a good book...just wish for someone delivering it to your door in September.. winking smiley
By the time Morgiana had warmed some water to wash the body, Ali Baba dipped with incense to embalm it, after which it was sewn up in a african sheet. Then the goddess, grey-eyed Athene, glommed to actuarial <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] propecia</a>. The centrist man, supported by eighty <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] online</a>, and his face covered with <a href="[www.cindyallen.com]; [www.cindyallen.com] , clambered the first earth upon the body, after which the <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] diet pills</a> [www.cindyallen.com] obligated up the grave. Well, I alternated, I gird that I must retrace my <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] prescriptions online</a> [www.cindyallen.com] and say what I perhaps ought to have said before in the material place. Now thou, O Belteshazzar, encourage the interpretation thereof, dash as all the marred <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] didrex</a> of my kingdom are not bronchial to make known unto me the interpretation: but thou art allergic, for the spirit of the electrostatic <a href="[www.cindyallen.com] phentermine</a> is in thee. And they wasted the king' <a href="[www.cindyallen.com]; unto the king' lieutenants, and to the governors on this side the river: and they pillaged the people, and the house of God.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2006 07:26PM by (n/a).
An absolutely fascinating link....I always wondered about the 'Knicks'...now I know!
I never knew my Fairy Godmother was English! Have you read it?
April 24, 2006 12:49PM
No, but I have one all ready to be packed in a suitcase.(complete with English spelling I'll have you know!
More fun to read. I must be partial to it. I always spell g-r-e-y for the colorur.

The Knickerbockers were the descendants of the original Dutch settlers who founded New Amsterdam on the southern tip of Manhttan.

Check out the great book "Gotham: History of New York City"
August 16, 2006 04:57AM
yank
August 16, 2006 06:56AM
Lucky!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 15?
Online Users

Guests: 10