Living in New York City

Posted by Kyra Smith 
Living in New York City
April 07, 2006 07:33AM
I'm doing a study on the cost of living in New York city. I am gathering information about various costs including, but not limited to;

The cost of riding the subway
The cost of taxi service
The average cost of groceries per person per week
The cost of Utilities:
Electricity, Gas, Water/sewage/garbage, cable, internet, etc.
Other various costs.

Thank you for your help.
Re: Living in New York City
April 08, 2006 06:34PM
Subway - I get a monthly metrocard for $76 a month.
Taxis - obviously vary by how far you are going. I can go roughly 10 blocks for $5 if I stay on the same side of town but 10 blocks and crosstown is usually abour $10.
Groceries - I am single so I spend at most $40 a week sometimes less depending on how much I ordered in.
Utilities -
Electric: typically $40 - $50 for a one bedroom (500 sq ft) apt.
Gas/Water/Sewage/Heat/Garbage: included in my place and typically included in rent (NOT AC THOUGH)
Cable/Internet: I do a package that is roughly $80 a month with taxes but most people (that I know...) use Time Warner Cable so you can check out their packages.
Various: Beware I work downtown and food is quite expensive for lunches. I typically can't get a meal for under $7. Midtown is a bit better from what I have seen the few times I have eaten up there in the last few months.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 18?
Online Users

Guests: 11