What to wear for a fashion internship interview in New York City?

Posted by Leah25 
What to wear for a fashion internship interview in New York City?
February 27, 2006 12:31AM
I'm a college student from the west coast on a low-budget interested in interning at a New York City fashion company.

I'd like to know what is an appropiate outfit for a fashion company or fashion magazine interview in New York City?

Also what are the top 20 essential wardrobe items to buy on a $500 budget before going to an internship in New York City?

I would go for classic pants and blazer for an interview, separates so you can use them to mix and match. I would wear a colorful top, something fadish even, since it's the fashion industry,but not showing cleavage or peek-a-boo lace.

When I was starting out on work clothes my rule of thumb was each piece I bought had to match 2 other things (at least) that I already had. This rule still serves me well and it's been a long time since I was your age.

Be sure to consider secondhand stores and consignment shops. You will get more bang for your buck. Goodwill is great because they teach drycleaning and all of their dry-cleanable clothes are the practice items.
Re: What to wear for a fashion internship interview in New York City?
February 28, 2006 03:11AM
Hi Salsa, thanks for your advice on what to wear to an interview and fashion internship.
it depends on the specific fashion company you will interview with. If it's a young, hip, trendy place, you should try to match their style, I think. If you go in with a standard business suit that is pretty conservative and standard, it might send a "stuffy" message instead of "cool, fashionable", you know what I mean? Of course, go in with a suit on, but make it a suit that matches what their style is.
Do you know the company you'll be interviewing with? If so, I'd try to wear their clothes, then jazz it up so that you make your own fashion statement out of their clothes. I'm assuming you are good with fashion, but it wouldn't hurt to get another fashion-minded friend to critique what you put together. You need to look at least a little bit hip; I would not suggest going for an interview with a fashion business dressed like you are a lawyer or secretary.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 18?
Online Users

Guests: 4