Best place to buy digital cameras in Manhattan

Posted by Joanna 
Can anyone please advise of reputable retailers to buy a digital camera from? I am visiting NYC in November and as the prices in the US are much cheaper than in the UK, am considering purchasing a camera during my trip. Any suggestions gratefully received ! Thanks
Marea
Re: Best place to buy digital cameras in Manhattan
September 29, 2005 05:00AM
Best Buy on 6th Ave at 23rd Street and Circuit City at Union Square are both very good good.
Many thanks - will check out during my visit !
nazza
September 29, 2005 06:01AM
B&H Photo-Video-ProAudio
420 9th Ave.
New York, NY 10001
(800) 413-5653
Directions: A, C, E at 34th St

huge, with the best prices in the city, an experience to live once in life.

I second the B & H suggestion. Great shop with huge amount of stock. Check out the website(www.bhphotovideo.com). If you have any queries before you visit they have an amazing "live" help service. They are closed early on Fridays and all day Saturday..opening times are on the site.
nyc10024
September 29, 2005 11:59AM
I would also recommend B & H. DO NOT BUY A CAMERA OR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT IN TIMES SQUARE !!
Peter
September 29, 2005 02:29PM
B&H of course
Ben Ramsey
September 30, 2005 08:36AM
I bought a camera from Time Square last year. I took 'what digital camera' magazine from the UK over with me and made sure I got the right camera at the right price. They then wanted to sell me extra battery and memory etc but I said no and was really happy with the deal I got.
September 30, 2005 12:22PM

I recently went to New York and found the prices on the camera I was interested in (Sony DSC P200) was MORE EXPENSIVE in New York than at online retailers here in the UK.

I have just checked using todays exchange rates - after tax in NY it is cheaper here in the UK www.pixmania.co.uk (2 year guarantee and no customs to negoiate on the return!!)

I bought before I went. However I did buy a memory card at B&H. Staff knowledgable but miserable. An incredible shop though.
Betoracle
September 30, 2005 03:51PM
You thought the staff was "miserable?" I've shopped there many times and found completely the opposite. In fact, I lost the extended warranty I bought on my camera, and they happily printed me out a new one, all they needed was my phone number. Plus, they give you free candy while you wait. I thought that was pretty nice! I priced my camera all over the internet before I went to B&H, and they were the cheapest.
October 01, 2005 10:19AM
Well maybe miserable is not the best word. Went to one counter waiting to be served whilst one member of staff just blanked us completely. He eventually spoke to us. The cashier had no manners - no hello, no please, no Thank You. However one member of staff was very helpful when looking for a case for our new camera - he was very good.

It was an excellent store (HUGE!) and prices were competive but on the particular model I was looking for they weren't the cheapest - close but no cigar. My other point is that you would need to bring the camera back through UK customs and if you were stopped you would have to pay tax - as you can only bring the equivalent of 270USD back into the UK.
I use B & H relatively often and agree that the vibe from most clerks there leaves much to be desired (as if they are doing you a favor), but they get the job done and the prices are generally very good.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 5 plus 1?
Online Users

Guests: 7