Help with public transport from LaGuardia to Greenpoint Bklyn

Posted by Lauren 
Help with public transport from LaGuardia to Greenpoint Bklyn
September 22, 2005 10:01PM
I'm staying at the Greenpoint YMCA when I visit in Nov. (thanks for the recommendation!). I have been looking at the MTA's maps on their website and tried to figure it out, but I'm just going to need a pro to tell me what to do!

So, I'll take a bus from the airport and transfer to the subway at some point, but where? like, I don't know what stations.. or where to meet the bus at the airport.

Also, will I be able to purchase a metrocard at the airport somewhere?

Thanks!
Re: Help with public transport from LaGuardia to Greenpoint Bklyn
September 22, 2005 10:11PM
oh, I spoke too soon. I found this site saved in my favorites: [hopstop.com]
I think I've got it now. Looks like I'll take the M60 bus, transfer to the N train, then the 7, then the G.
It says it will take an hour! I hear that taxis at LaGuardia are impossible, and all of the car services I've seen only quote prices from LGA -> Manhattan. Would I be better off trying to reserve a car? And would I then have to pay the hourly rate, since I'm not going to Manhattan?

I'm going to need someone to explain to me how transfers work - ugh I know nothing about how the subway system works as far as figuring out which train to get on and making sure I'm on the right side of the platform... stuff you don't know until you ride it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2005 10:30PM by Lauren.
Well, you do have it right... M60 - N/W - 7 - G. This might be a confusing commute if you have never done it before. It is definately cheaper. First thing is that you need to get a MetroPass, and I'm not sure if you can get them at LGA? If not you can just pay 2 bucks to get on the bus and then get a Metropass when you transfer to the N-Train.

Basically, walk outside of LGA and look for a bus stop that says M60. Take the M60 to Astoria Blvd. A lot of people will get off here, so it will be obvious. You can always ask the driver, they are usually helpful. When you get to the N/W train make sure the signs say Towards Manhattan (not Ditmars Blvd.). Take the N or W train to Queensboro Plaza, get off and simply walk across the platform to the 7-train. You will take the 7-Train (towards Manhattan - Times Square), and get off at 45 Road-Court House Square ( it is only 1 stop). Then I think you actually have to exit the station (not sure?) and you should see the entrance for the G-Train. Take it towards Brooklyn (not Queens). I think you will have to swipe your Metropass again here. Then take the G to Greenpoint.

I think these directions are accurate, but someone may want to double check. I am pretty sure Red is an expert with the Astoria area. Taking public transportation will be much cheaper. Although it make take about an hour from LGA to Greenpoint. A car service or cab would run you 50 bucks plus I think,and wouldn't be that much faster. Look into how the Metropass works on the MTA website.

Have fun at the Y, its a gem (money-wise).
hi there,
a car service in the greenpoint area is MetroLine, 718-388-1111.
I live near there. You can just call them when you land and they'll be there in about 15 minutes, usually. But I'm not sure what you mean about taxis being impossible. I've not had problems really. If I were you, I'd do a mapquest so you can give the guy directions to the address...generally you will take the BQE to McGuiness exit, and it'll be right there.
Taxis from LGA are easy. Just get in the official taxi line, and you'll be in a cab in a few minutes. I almost always take a taxi home after a tiring flight, and I've never had a problem.

I'd take a yellow cab, not a car service, they're cheaper and there are always tons of yellow cabs at the airport.

Also, a cab from LGA to Greenpoint wouldn't run you $50 - more like $25. It'll get right on the highway, get off at McGuinness, plunk, you're there, no problem. Bringing a map is a good idea, though, because some taxi drivers feign not to know directions in Brooklyn.

Brian is generally right about the public transit directions, although it's Metrocard, not "pass." I do the N-7-G transfer every couple of weekends and it goes relatively smoothly, but it's a nightmare of up and down stairs for someone with luggage. I'd really suggest a cab.

As Brian says, you get on the M60 bus at the airport. It's only going in one direction - the airport is the end of the line - so you don't need to worry. You'll get off at the N train stop, it's a big elevated train so it's easy to see. Then you'll walk up a long staircase to the Manhattan-bound N train.

When you're transferring from the 7 to the G, yes, you DO have to leave the station and walk half a block.
September 23, 2005 10:43PM
thanks for all of your advice! I thought I'd read somewhere that getting a cab at LGA takes forever and that a car service or bus is the better option.

So, I may just get a cab since the bus/train route will be a little complicated. I'll just have one rolling bag, but my first day in the NY subway system it might not be so easy.

thanks again!
Take the cab! If you want to pay by credit card, be sure to ask the driver first if he is set up for it. My cabby to LGA was not, and therefore his tip was not what I would have paid, as I was short on cash. Thank goodness I had it!

Also for directions for the driver, try Google. I hate to say, because MapQuest is from my home town, but Google is better. Just type in the address, city, state and zip, you will get the map option. You can also type in the area code and phone number and get the same thing (if listed number), which is faster I think.
I've done the bus/subway combination from LGA to Manhattan and from a suburbanite's point of view (I have very limited experience with public transportation), it wasn't hard at all. You can purchase your Metrocard at the airport and just jump on the bus right outside the door. This is an assumption, but if you're staying at the YMCA, I assume you're strapped for cash and public transpo is definitely the way to go (so cheap it's not even funny)!
Can I ask why you decided on the YMCA in Greenpoint?
September 25, 2005 03:04PM
^^ Thank you! Maybe I will take the bus/train after all. I would rather not pay $25+ for a cab if figuring out the subway won't be that bad.

I'm staying at Greenpoint because it's so cheap. As much as I wanted to stay in Manhattan to have the option of walking lots of places, a 15-min train into the island isn't that bad.

Thank you thank you to everyone who replied!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 17?
Online Users

Guests: 5