West Side YMCA, Greenpoint YMCA

Posted by Lauren 
West Side YMCA, Greenpoint YMCA
August 24, 2005 02:19PM
I am going to be in NY Nov 2-8, and it looks as though the West Side Y is booked up. I am calling after I get home from work anyway, just in case, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this:
[www.tripadvisor.com]

apparently the top floor rooms are better, but I don't see on their site or the site where I am booking any "single premium" rooms. Anyway...

If the west side Y is full, I am going to try for the Greenpoint Y, and I know someone on this site has mentioned that they stayed there. I was wanting to know if it was withing walking distance of anything of interest, near any good spots for breakfast or groceries and if it was as close to the Bedford Ave station as it appears on the map. It looks like it's pretty convenient to Manhattan. OH and do they have a curfew? It appears that some hostels do, and if the Y does, I can't stay there.

Thank you in advance!
Red
Re: West Side YMCA, Greenpoint YMCA
August 24, 2005 02:47PM
There are two people on this board who have stayed at the Greenpoint Y. I stayed at the Greenpoint Y for three weeks in 1999 while trying to find a place to live. I think bstump is the other guy - he stayed there much more recently.

The Greenpoint Y is, in my mind, one of the city's hidden gems, but you have to be a little more into the life of the city than into the Top Five Things In All New York Guidebooks. The "deluxe rooms" are quite spacious, and I recommend them; the smaller "economy" rooms are really just cells and can be rather sad and claustrophobic, but are at least safe.

The Greenpoint Y is one block from Manhattan Avenue, the main shopping street of Greenpoint, an intensely Polish neighborhood somewhat overrun by artists. Tons of Polish cafes and restaurants nearby; also a rather good Thai place and some others. The neighborhood has a very ethnic feel, and it's very safe.

You're about a ten minute walk from the heart of Northside Williamsburg, the most hipster neighborhood in the city, with trendy cafes, a microbrewery, vintage stores, stores selling vinyl electronica records, contemporary art galleries, all that sort of stuff. I timed the walk to the Bedford station as 12 minutes.

Getting groceries is sort of pointless, because there's nowhere to cook. But there are plenty of places to get breakfast.

No curfew.
August 24, 2005 05:43PM
Thank you so much! I'm not even going to bother with checking on the West Side Y since the Greenpoint location sounds so good. The price is amazing, and I really don't require much; I'd rather shop! As far as groceries go, I find its a good way to get a quick and cheap breakfast, just a corner store or whatever you call them.

I had planned on spending at least one full day exploring Brooklyn. Williamsburg is on my must-do list, so Greenpoint sounds perfect. Thanks!!
August 24, 2005 06:14PM
I indeed stayed at the Greenpoint Y about 2 months ago, my bstump88 handle does not work for some reason.

Anyways, there were plenty of places to eat and shop. There were local places and corporate places like subway. It was very safe and neat place. Make sure that you get the deluxe room with the TV. I reserved that room, but they gave me the smaller room withou the tv, so make sure they get it straight. Also I don't know if your a student but they give student discounts.

It was very safe, police station literally right across the street. There was no curfew that I am aware of. I was usually in by 10 though.

I don't know about the bedford station. But if I remember right, it was only about a 5 minute or so walk to a station on the G-line.

It's not the Ritz, but it was so worth the money, I highly reccomend it. The front desk people were very helpful. Just ask them where to the nearest station, grocery store, library, etc.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 8?
Online Users

Guests: 6