A week in New York in November

Posted by Ruth 
A week in New York in November
August 23, 2005 06:45AM
Looking for advice - a whole week in New York and there's so much to see! How do we fit it all in? Must do's are Coney Island, Ellis Island, the Bronx - where did the Marx Bros grow up? The Algonquin, all the Deli's I can find including Gus's. History particularly the 20's fascinates me - have read so much throughout the years. And of course - shopping.

Would love to hear ideas.
How cold will it get? 16th to 23rd Nov staying near Central Park.

cheers
Betoracle
Re: A week in New York in November
August 23, 2005 07:31AM
That's a nice time of year, could be cool but crisp. Hopefully only sunny days, but you never can tell!

I'm not wild about Coney Island in the summer, can't think what the attraction would be in November when the Aquarium is the only attraction open. Nearby Brighton Beach might be interesting, it's a lively Russian community. Fun to explore the shops and restaurants, where mostly Russian is spoken.

I can't help you with the Bronx at all.

You'll find lots of delis. The most famous are the Carnegie (my favorite), Katz's, and the Second Avenue Deli. There are many others, particularly in midtown, that mostly get by on business from tourists -- Roxy, Ben Ash, etc.
Eric
August 23, 2005 09:39AM
As stated above, Coney Island will be a long subway ride to see nothing. Skip it. As for the Bronx, much has changed in the hundred plus years since the Marx Brothers were young and much of it has been bad. There are nice areas of the Bronx, but if you don't know your way you can get into serious trouble.

The weather in November should be very good for your purposes. It will be cool, but that's a plus when you're out walking around. There's going to be a chance of rain, but it probably won't rain for long.
Leo
August 23, 2005 10:08AM
The only 2 goods things in the Bronx are the Bronx Zoo and New York Botanical Gardens. If you like zoos, you can go there. If you want to see an unspoiled forest in the middle of the city, you can visit the botanical garden. Otherwise, skip the Bronx altogether. If you are into history, Coney Island may be worth a visit, although what people said here is true - nothing spectacular. The amuzement park looks kind of cool in the dark - I bet it will remind you of what you read about Coney Island and the way it was in the 20s.

Go to Central Park - I bet it's going to be beautiful in November.

Visit Grand Central Terminal - this is a truly beautiful train station. It's historic and they opened ip a lot of nice cafes in it. There's the whole food concourse there now.

Just walk around in Modtown - Lexington, Park Ave, etc. It's beautiful and historic.
August 23, 2005 12:05PM
Leo, I am glad you ask people to visit Grand Central. It is worth the time.
August 23, 2005 12:10PM
The Marx brothers grew up in the Yorkville section of Manhattan which is 81 to 86 Streets, east of Park Avenue--a very nice area
Pat
Out of town
August 23, 2005 02:06PM
I was thinking of spending a week in New York towards the end of the year. I thought of spending 4 nights in the city then heading somewhere out of town for the weekend.

Can anyone suggest somewhere easily accessible from the city by public transport that I could visit for a relaxing weekend? I don't drive so it needs to be somewhere where a car isn't essential.

I am in my 50's and quite sociable though I do like solitude too. I enjoy walking but nothing too strenuous. I like history and literature and love the sea.

Thank you for your attention.
KM1
August 23, 2005 06:10PM
for more Bronx info, see the home page of this site, on the right side under the big apple greeter box you will see neighborhood information profiles which are quite useful.
August 24, 2005 04:10AM
I am spending a week in NY in Nov (2nd-8th) too. I think it will be a good time to visit, hopefully won't be too cold yet.

Don't suppose any of the city will be decorated for the holidays by then? I don't know if they get started early in NY like some places seem to...
August 24, 2005 12:22PM
In my own city, some places start decorating NOV 1, some start the 15th, while others wait until the week of Thanksgiving.
August 24, 2005 01:58PM
Most Christmas decorations in NYC go up around Thanksgiving.
August 26, 2005 06:17PM
Thanks very much for your ideas. A question from my daughter who is 23 - how fake are the fake handbags? Yucky fake or good fake?
Is it worth going to Long Island or just too cold? Worth doing the day trip thing to Philadelphia or Washington?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 6?
Online Users

Guests: 2