Is this a safe area in Brooklyn?

Posted by NYCchic 
Is this a safe area in Brooklyn?
August 18, 2005 09:00AM
Hi, my friend is moving to NYC. She wants to live in Brooklyn as that is where she is going to be teaching. I live/work in Manhattan and don't often venture to Brooklyn so I can't help much. She found an apartment she really likes that is in her price range however she was not sure how great a neighborhood it is. Of course the landlord assured her it was a good areas but she still isn't convinced. Perhaps an unbiased opinion would help. She is looking at a place along the G line at the Bedfor/Nostrand stop. The actual address is 699 Dekalb Avenue @ Marcy. If anyone is familiar with that area and could help us it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Red
Re: Is this a safe area in Brooklyn?
August 18, 2005 09:30AM
Why not take the subway down there and look? It'll only take you an hour there and back - you could do it during lunch.

This is probably going to get into a predictable AANY debate, so let me guess the positions beforehand.

Leo: No! What a horror. You'll get shot in minutes. Move to Bensonhurst.

jake or alanna: It's a fine neighborhood. Plenty of decent hardworking people.

Me: Very borderline. Is it Clinton Hill? Is it Bed-Stuy? That's definitely one of those areas where the confort level is very much up to the individual - it's a very working-class, mostly black and Hispanic neighborhood that is getting gentrified from the west. Of all the addresses I've seen people post here recently, this is the one which I most want to say, check out in person.
KM
Re: Is this a safe area in Brooklyn?
August 18, 2005 10:12AM
I was there recently to take the photo for Howard Roberts piece on Crown Heights. See homepage. It was down right scary. I mean like I did'nt belong. I'll go up to Harlem and feel practically at home compared to this area. The vibe was bad. I did'nt venture far from the Bedford/Norstand subway stop. I stood on that street corner like the only white guy in a black neighborhood. I was. Again Harlem, safe. This neighborhood not safe. And I was'nt even wearing my sear sucker pants. Like Red suggest have your friend go check it out but definitely with another friend along. Comfort level: 3 out 10.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 15