1st year in NYC

Posted by Newb 
1st year in NYC
August 02, 2005 01:29AM
I have learned so much in the 3 weeks I have been here. I have also learned alot from this site.

My question is what is the advice ya'll would give for a newcomer to take notice in their first year???
Kelly M
Re: 1st year in NYC
August 02, 2005 07:12AM
don't sit in your apartment. get out as much as you can and explore. don't get discouraged if things are hard at first or if you are lonely. find things you like to do and meet people when/where you can. good luck!
Herb
August 02, 2005 10:55AM
Freshman. Really explore. Get out of your neighborhood. Just curious where do you live? When I arrived I walked from Battery Park up to the end of Central Park 110th. Funny thing after 10 years the city still feels strangely unfamiliar at times. Do you like art? PS1 is totally worth checking out and you get to visit Long Island city.
August 12, 2005 10:03PM
To be honest, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm out in Brooklyn at the Atlantic Avenue stop and have been for about a month. I just found a grownup job (hallelujah), but where can I meet people? I'm fairly outgoing but am super shy when it comes to new situations, but I know that sitting in my apartment won't help, though it seems like the only thing to do right now :-\
TG
August 13, 2005 12:57AM

Welcome to the city...

1) Never stay at home... and staying out doesn't have to be expensive. Go to bookstores, antique stores, -- anything -- explore different areas. So many people want to see, visit NY. Now you live here, soak it up as much as you can. I grew up here my whole life but my mother came from another country and I love listening to her stories as a wide-eyd young woman trying to do everything and anything as soon as she moved here.

2) Walk... Walk as much as you can. Skip the subway, bus (by all means a car) and walk throug the neighborhoods. You will feel like a NYer much quicker when you become more aware of the personality and feel of different, distinct neighborhoods in this city.

Once you go outside and are willing to discover and explore (must be so fun) then you'll meet people and trust me, NYers are the nicest people in the world.

Have fun!
Sean
August 15, 2005 06:51PM
TG,
Well said,
August 16, 2005 04:34PM
I will be a first timer in NYC myself in Sept. And all the advice I read here is very good. I can not wait until I can explore everything there. I am moving to Brooklyn. I am from a small town in NY. And alot of people tell me that its alot different from here and to watch my back. I dont think NYC will be that bad.
Thanks again for other people who are new to NYC know the real deal!!
August 16, 2005 05:58PM
TG is so right about the bus. You see more of the city, therefore you feel more of the city.
September 06, 2005 03:27PM
Newb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have learned so much in the 3 weeks I have been
> here. I have also learned alot from this site.
>
> My question is what is the advice ya'll would give
> for a newcomer to take notice in their first
> year???

Read your post, and I think you're doing an excellent job of trying to maximize your approach to your new home in NYC. Besides getting out to enjoy all NYC has to offer, meeting new people should be a tad tough at first simply due to the tremendous diversity in the cultures. But over time, you'll get the hang of it and find lifelong friends.

One question........do you keep your options open for additional income?
In NYC I would think thats a very high priority. I may have an option for you.

I’m currently in an Entrepreneurial Apprenticeship, with a team of multimillionaires that’ve done some very unique/wild things on the web. In fact, they’ve designed two simple projects specifically for your industry.
The first project is about 3-12 months, when properly completed, nets somewhere between $40-60K. But the second project, which is what I’m currently involved in and excited about, and excites people in your profession. It takes about 24-60 months, once properly completed, nets a strong 6 figure recurring revenue, very strong, it’s awesome.

Go to www.eagleswingsunltd.com, password - ewu , and browse through it. If you want more info afterwards, e-mail me back. You'll be glad you checked into this.
Jeff, jsmith27379@triad.rr.com

September 06, 2005 03:36PM
who is this jerk???? JEFF SMITH GET A LIFE AND GO AWAY!!!! can't we do anything about this?
i love the advice on this post. i think it's all so true. i don't live there yet but i plan to only sleep in my apartment once i do. i love to just walk around and take everything in. see you all next year!!!
Kelly M
September 07, 2005 06:38AM
have a look at this month's uberchic (home page) and her cheap eats club. it sounds like a good way to meet people. Also the lunch club on the links page.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 25?
Online Users

Guests: 17