ground zero

Posted by Micki 
ground zero
July 08, 2005 04:14PM
Hello everyone,

Wondering what is proper for visiting Ground Zero? I am a first responder and my husband is a volunteer fireman. 9-11 was obviously difficult for the whole country, but having EMS and fire crews die doing something that we do, affected us even deeper. I am wondering, is it proper to wear my uniform when I visit Ground Zero, or is it better to wear normal clothes. Do people bring flowers to the site? I do not want to be disrespectful to the people of NY that lost so many already and want to give Ground Zero the respect it deserves.

Thank you to anyone that can help.
Re: ground zero
July 08, 2005 06:04PM
Hi Micki,

On the homepage you can download the "A walk around Ground Zero" video. This also shows the site and a lot around it.

I think you should dress the way you are, deepest respect come from the inside.

July 14, 2005 10:39AM
There are flowers onsite but I don't know if tourists bring them. I would assume it to be families. If it was someone losts birthday family would bring flowers etc. That to me seems why there is always a small smattering of flowers when I walk by.
July 14, 2005 07:05PM
I think you're right about the flowers NYChic. If everyone brought them you wouldn't be able to get near the site, there were hundreds of people there everytime I went, no matter what day of the week it was.
Leo
July 15, 2005 09:50AM
Why do you need to wear your uniform? What are you trying to say/proof by it?

On the other hand, many people go into the PATH station at WTC and watch at the site from there and no one cares how you dress since there are thousands of people passing by on their way to/from work.
July 19, 2005 10:52AM
How kind of you to ask. I worked 9 months in the recovery and saw some unbelievably rude "visitors." As a first responder, you feel that you are part of the brother/sisterhood. I think that you feel that your uniform would be a great sign of respect. We had so many of the brother/sisters send us food, supplies, patches, come for funerals when we were maxed out. You are all welcome as far as I am concerned because you come to mourn not sightsee. You should bring flowers if it will help you to mourn.

Stay safe,
July 19, 2005 11:49AM
Thanks for such a great answer Andrea. I was going to write something to that effect yesterday. A uniform does just what it's meant to do - unite, pull together people who are the same. That sameness extends to feelings and bonds. It is most appropriate to wear that uniform, just as you would have had you been able to attend a service.
July 26, 2005 06:23AM
Thank you to everyone who responded. My trip to ground zero is to pay my respect to so many that have been lost, especially the firemen and EMS workers.

Thank you again and I look forward to visiting your city.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 12