Recommendations on apt searching in Upper Manhattan

Posted by Irene 
I want to move to the Morningside Heights/West Harlem area and I am having some major difficulties:

#1- I have not found ANY broker who knows this area well enough (such as telling me the apt is in Morningside, when it's really in Washington Heights)
#2- I REALLY am starting to hate being toyed around by brokers who ask for more money (I've seen apt's in my price range in the area)
#3- I'm sick of getting being talked down to by brokers (ie - "You know, if you spend more, you can go to a nicer neighborhood" - I PICKED THIS NEIGHBORHOOD BECAUSE I LIKE IT YOU OUT-OF-TOWNER! GO BACK TO THE MIDWEST IF YOU ARE SCARED!)

Now, I've looked at the Village Voice and Craigslist for non-broker apts, but its all come to a deadend.

Can anyone suggest a GOOD BROKER who specializes in this area or perhaps another listing of non-broker apartments?

Sorry for my anger, but I'm at my wit's end here!
Re: Recommendations on apt searching in Upper Manhattan
June 08, 2005 01:09PM
Hmmm I live in Morningside Heights on Manhattan Avenue at 112th. I know there is at least one building that is always having open houses on 110th and Manhattan. My building also has an apt available. It is a one bedroom though that is $1400 I think a month (wood floors and new stainless steel appliances, morningside park views, just renovated agh I sound like an advertisement sorry!). Let me know if that interests you I will help you contact my landlord. I can't help much with brokers I did the craiglist thing and it all worked out.
June 08, 2005 02:33PM

Okay, I can't offer anything since I will be moving there myself, but if anyone answers your question I was hoping they could answer a related one-

How long does it take to find a place via craiglist? (And I know there are posters or even friends of posters who have sometimes stumbled on a really good deal - affordable/where they want to live - how long does it take on average to find this if you work mainly via craiglist?

Also, for morningside heights - since some of the apts have vacancies - can one just walk to talk to management in that apt? (I dont know if this is just not done in NYC - its done in other cities, much easier/cheaper). Thanks -
June 10, 2005 09:13AM
Well here is my experience. I was one of those who stumbled upon my apt on craigslist. In a nutshell I was calling about an apt listed but unfortunately I had noticed it too late and there wer 2 applications for the place in already so the landlord didn't think I would get it. I chatted with him a bit, told him my story (gonna graduate college moving to NYC from Western NYS and needed to find a place from college) and he began to talk about the building and the area etc and finally mentioned there were 2 more apts he hadn't listed yet. The attic apt (mine) was gonna be available 2 weeks later so he was waiting to list it but the time was perfect for me. I talked a bit about the apt and he offered to send me pictures. I saw the place and blindly took a leap. I am glad too as it is perfect. I thought it was a God thing that I got the place b/c I had contacted so many apts only to find out 60 others had already shown interest as well. My landlord got about 30 calls and 30+ emails about the place he listed. To get a decent apt in NYC the market is very tough. Just keep searching and contact as soon as you see one you are interested in. The sooner the better your chance to get it. Most landlords use first come first serve policies. I was looking at craigslist once I got the job but really was checking obsessively for the month before I moved. You will find many places don't list until about a month before they are available. Which made me really nervous, since I didn't know anyone in the city I had to find a place to live, I had no backup! I think I was contacting people for a week straight before I got my place. Shouldn't take you more than a week or two though to get one. It helps significantly if you have a job and are established. My parents friends have a daughter in NYC for college and she got turned down for lots of places b/c she was a student but with a guarantor they found a great place. So there are apts to be found! smiling smiley The building down the road from me has open houses weekly. I would assume you could go to building management directly. I will keep my eye out in the neighborhood for numbers etc and pass them on if you would like. If you need help personally feel free to contact me at geneseogirl@yahoo.com. I know I wish I had someone in the city willing to check out neighborhoods etc for me. I didn't find this forum in time sad smiley so you have a leg up on me as you did find it!
Hi-

I've had no luck as well! Does anyone have contact info for people/management companies in the area? Specifically, I'm looking in the area north of 110th Street and west of Frederick Douglass.

Best,
John
upperwestside
July 24, 2005 07:25PM

Realtors don’t give a shit about that part of Manhattan.
Some building in that neighborhood still hang out shingles that apartment are available. Especially on the East side of Morningside Park, facing the park (I think it is called Manhattan Avenue). It’s still a very newly renovated area. Somewhat marginal and unsafe (crack hookers and accompanying low lives who never had a job thugs are still on the streets at night). The boarded up buildings are quickly being renovated and snapped up by working people and students!

You need to walk around the neighborhood in the morning when the superintendents are working (taking out the trash, hosing and sweeping the ground, etc) and ask the supers if any apts are avail. You can even ring their bell and ask for the phone # to the building management office. Read the little plaques on the building with the managements name and look up the phone # if you can’t find the super

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2005 07:31PM by (n/a).
upperwestside
July 24, 2005 07:29PM
!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2005 07:32PM by (n/a).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 13?
Online Users

Guests: 6