Area Code

Posted by bstump88 
Area Code
June 05, 2005 10:55AM
I want to have my cell phone number changed before I move up, so I have one less thing to do when I get there. I am probably going to live on the East side of Queens or the North side of Brooklyn. I will work and go to school on the LES. What area code should I tell my provider I want? Or should I wait to see exactly where I live? Or does it even matter? I heard there are like 3 area codes.
Red
Re: Area Code
June 05, 2005 11:23AM
There are five area codes in NYC: 212, 917, 718, 646 and 347.

They are totally interchangeable, are all local calls from each other, and all have the same calling area. So there's no functional difference in which one you get. But there is a cultural difference because of the history of the different 'codes which means you might have a preference.

I suggest you ask for 917 if possible, then 718, then 646, then 347. You won't be able to get a 212. Here's why:

Your area code should signal where you live, not where you work or go to school.

917 is the classic NYC "cell phone" area code. It signals to callers "you're calling a cell phone, not a land line." It's really the way to go if possible.

718 is the old-school code for all boroughs outside Manhattan. It signals, well, you're calling someone who lives in a borough outside Manhattan. It's a solid, reliable, well-known code.

646 is the much newer cell phone area code. A lot of people have it now. Like 917, it says you're a cell phone in NYC, but it also says you're a newcomer.

347 is an extra area code used for cell phones in Brooklyn and Queens. It's not used all that much and may get blank stares from some people. I don't recommend it if possible.

212 is the most prestigious area code in the nation - it's for Manhattan land lines and a very few precious Manhattan cell phones. It's nearly impossible to get any more on new installations. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it for a cellie because it has such land-line connotations.
June 06, 2005 04:07PM
Wow well said Red. I have a 917 area code on my cell I guess I should be proud! smiling smiley and just as an FYI all our work #s out of HQ's in midtown are 646 #'s. Wonder why that is.... So maybe it is for landlines as well?
Red
June 06, 2005 04:17PM
Yeah, you're right, chic, they just started giving 646s to everybody in Manhattan when they ran out of 212s.
Kathy
June 06, 2005 05:25PM
I guess there are always exceptions to everything. My office number (land line) is 917 area code and our home number received in February is 212 area code (probably someone's old recycled number?).
June 07, 2005 04:20AM
We had a 212 number which we got two years ago next month and my husband's cousin has a 212 for home and a 917 for her cell, both received in January this year. I guess we were lucky with recycled numbers, I wonder who has ours now, it was a really easy number to remember.
February 04, 2008 11:13PM
Area codes does not mean anything anymore!!!! I have three 212 number from 20 years and moved those numbers to vonage. Now I moved in Pennsylvania and use the numbers every where I go. I spend few months in Italy and no problem!!! The numbers travel with me. My friend closed the business in New York and moved in New Jersey and with vonage moved the numbers in New Jersey. And with Vonage or Lingo you can get any area code you want. Because of my work I have a 310 area code from Los Angeles and another area code from Rome, Italy.
That's right!!! You can live in Australia and use New York area code.
August 06, 2008 01:42AM
i have a 212 mobile number (on a prepaid account) for sale

you can port this number to your carrier of choice

am selling this because i have just opened a postpaid AT&T account here in CA and they would not let me port a number with a NY area code

contact me alvinrayyu@aol.com
February 04, 2009 12:22PM
Red Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are five area codes in NYC: 212, 917, 718,
> 646 and 347.
>
> They are totally interchangeable, are all local
> calls from each other, and all have the same
> calling area. So there's no functional difference
> in which one you get. But there is a cultural
> difference because of the history of the different
> 'codes which means you might have a preference.
>
> I suggest you ask for 917 if possible, then 718,
> then 646, then 347. You won't be able to get a
> 212. Here's why:
>
> Your area code should signal where you live, not
> where you work or go to school.
>
> 917 is the classic NYC "cell phone" area code. It
> signals to callers "you're calling a cell phone,
> not a land line." It's really the way to go if
> possible.
>
> 718 is the old-school code for all boroughs
> outside Manhattan. It signals, well, you're
> calling someone who lives in a borough outside
> Manhattan. It's a solid, reliable, well-known
> code.
>
> 646 is the much newer cell phone area code. A lot
> of people have it now. Like 917, it says you're a
> cell phone in NYC, but it also says you're a
> newcomer.
>
> 347 is an extra area code used for cell phones in
> Brooklyn and Queens. It's not used all that much
> and may get blank stares from some people. I don't
> recommend it if possible.
>
> 212 is the most prestigious area code in the
> nation - it's for Manhattan land lines and a very
> few precious Manhattan cell phones. It's nearly
> impossible to get any more on new installations.
> Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it for a cellie
> because it has such land-line connotations.
February 04, 2009 12:24PM
can the 347 be used in any other state
February 04, 2009 12:35PM
A cell phone can be used anywhere is it has reception regardless of the the phone's area code.
March 20, 2009 11:36AM
ok so i am calling from abroad in europe to a number which starts with area code 347 and the number and im not getting through...
i checked many times if im dialing the right number including what i have to put infront since i am calling from abroad.
will it work if i put other area codes??
thanks..
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 12?
Online Users

Guests: 8