NYC apartment guidelines?

Posted by needs an apartment 
KM1
Re: NYC apartment guidelines?
June 06, 2005 10:18AM
Red!
Your the best. It's time for our summer libation. When, where? Soon. There's always Williamsburg. Remember I'm on the real side of the BQE. The gardens looking pretty lush. Come on over.
June 06, 2005 04:01PM
I would agree. Taxes are rough here. I make $50K and take home $2600 per month! Welcome to the real world! I was DEPRESSED when I received my first paycheck. Look into Morningside Heights. I live in an attic studio for $900/month however right about now wishing my building had air conditioning, 5 fans just isn't enough in this weather! Waiting for fall......... We all must make trade offs to live affordably in NYC. Good luck with the apartment search!
"Needs an apartment"--

Listen to these wise people who are trying to help you out. I am from the south too and my family resides in Mississippi. My roommate now is also from there...he moved for a job making $39K as well and his share of the rent is $975. He just can't afford more than that and that is before cable/internet and our electric bill. In fact, he just got a second job because of the expense. It is very easy to get into debt on that kind of salary especially if you plan on having any type of social life. You can plan to spend at least $50 on electricity (even if you share, possibly more in the summer) and cable with broadband is about $100 a month. Food is definitely more expensive here at the grocery stores. They definitely take more out for taxes--federal, state and don't forget NY city tax. It all adds up quickly.

I have been here for almost 5 years now and make 4 times your projected salary. I always try to find an economically priced apartment but this year, the rent is considerably higher than it has been in previous years. I have been saving to buy so want to keep my monthly rent below $1700 for a 1BR--that is even a struggle. Sharing is definitely the way to go if you want to save money and you are likely to find some very nice people to live with. There is no point living in Manhattan if you won't be able to "live" in Manhattan. Suck it up, share a space and enjoy all the day and night life this place has to offer.

Also, I am sure the real estate agent states they can help you find something for $1300 but be wary of them and their overpriced broker fees. There are many no fee management companies here that may be able to help you find a decent and reasonable space. You just have to be willing to search for a while. Try www.skymanagement.com for starters...Good Luck!
June 11, 2008 12:05PM
I am going to be a senior leaving High school in a year. I have researched and i do want to go to CUNY college. It`s located in Brooklyn and I`m sure i want to move there. How much money will it cost to get a cheap 2 bed or 1 bed apartment?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 23?
Online Users

Guests: 6