Last try: questions about Green Wich and East Village

Posted by Sebastian 
Hey New York people!

A short week ago I've been here for the first time in New York. It was really, really impressive. I don't think that 'll sound like a surprise to you....

For my study I now want to write an article about the neighborhoods of West and East Village. This because people in Europe, that never went to NY, most of the time mention the skyscrapers when they're talking about NY. But, in the shadow of these big buildings, there's so much more special in this city. I definitely will have forgotten to mention the qualities of a few others neighborhoods, but the pictures of West and East Village are more fresh in my mind. Because of the picturesque environment, I think. Although there are differences in history between these two.

I'd first like to know some answers now. To a couple of questions, that I think people from these villages are capable enough to answer. I read a quote in newyorkmetro.com, that says about West Village: 'There's definitely more lace than leather in het Village today, and many more families.' It's the quote of a citizen and I would like to know if he's right about that. Is West Village more transformed to a place where whole families want to live? And why is that?
And then at the same .com there is a quote about East Village from a citizen: 'People used to want to live here because it's trendy, but now people know it's one of the last neighborhood neighborhoods left.' What does he exactly mean with this and why is he saying that? Are you agreeing with this citizen?
Now two more questions (on the one side for West Village-people, on the other side for East Village-people):
1. Which characteristic(s) makes your neighborhood special, do you think? (examples)
2. A boy from the Upper West Side said, at the time of my visit, that New York-people are finally celebrating Christmas in their own neighborhood since the last three years. Before then, they travelled to families in other cities. Only Times Square was crowdy. This because of a whole new 'we-feeling' that New Yorkers have since 9/11. Is that true and if it is: is this something you definitely see back in West and East Village? I don't mean only at Christmas time. In general,are New Yorkers a little bit more appreciating the presence of their neighbors and are they more likely to join eachother for some fun in a restaurant, bar or whatever?

I'm sorry for the bad grammar. But I hope you all understood my questions. Thanks for the attention!
Sabastian,
New Yorkers are very busy people. Be patient. But I can tell you what makes my neighborhood special. First the people. I live on the other side of the BQE,Brooklyn queens Expressway in Williamsburg.I love the Italian influence. San Marco's Pizzeria across the street owned by an exstended Italian family. Great slice. Settepani Bakery rivals anything in the city for cakes and pastrys one block away. For delicious fresh bread Napoli's across the street. Dry cleaning Top Hat French cleaners owned by a Korean couple. Of course no Italian neighborhood would be authentic without a slew of funeral homes. We've have three with in three blocks all with wonderful clocks in the window letting us know that how preciuos time is. A great diner, Kellogs, open 24hrs, down the street, My bodega,and my favortie store with no name where Claire sits praying and selling the best mozzarella in the world. They'll be closed May 23 for a family function. So diversty and convenience is what makes my neighborhood so special.
Thank you KM!,

You're right, I'm not so patient. That's because of a deadline that I have at school. I now hope these unpatient words 'last try', in my subject headline, are not repelling people to reply. Because normally I would have waited longer. But maybe I just have to change my attention to your neighborhood. I could do that. We'll see.

In the meanwhile I now could tell something about my neighborhood. During my stay I had to laugh about the pictures that New Yorkers form of the Netherlands (or Holland). Actually a lot of them think that all Dutchmen are smoking weed the whole day. I can imagine that's a picture you WANT TO form about a country at the other side of the ocean, but it's only romanticizing something. (maybe for some people it's the opposite of romantic) Yes, we have coffee shops and that sorts of stuff. But the people that visit these spots, are a small part of the whole Dutch population (the whole Dutch population is the same number of people as in entire New York: 15 à 16 million). In fact, most of the coffee shop-visitors are tourists.
The 'famous' red light district in Amsterdam is visited especially by the British. The girls you find there, are mostly of Eastern Europe origin.
Dutch people are just making fun with the same activities as other people in the world: going to clubs, restaurants and sporting. Not that smoking a joint isn't something special. It's fun for maybe once in your life. But if we all took more, we'd all have a Bob Marley-mentality, and that's killing for the local economy, you know. I realize that I now have taken away some arguments to visit Holland (haha), but it's the boring truth. But I'm not making my money in tourism......

I would love to live in the west village, but it's too expensive. I don't know how a family could live there unless they are extremely wealthy or they have had a house there in their family for years and years. It's a great neighborhood, all those little tree lined streets winding around, all the great brownstones. But it still has an "edgy" feel, I think, probably due to the gays who are so prevalent in that area.
The east village is almost too "cool" for me. It's too trendy. Don't get me wrong, I do love some of the bars and restaurants and shops there, but again, the minute any place has anything good to offer, it becomes too expensive and those who live there end up having to leave because of rents being pushed up so high.
Thanks Cammie.

I immediately believe that it's expensive living in West and East Village. You have to have a good job to buy a Green Wich Village-house. But what's extremely wealthy? The way you're talking about it, gives me the feeling that you have to be a type like the uncle of Donald Duck. A good job, for example at the downtown business district of Manhattan, doesn't suffice to save the necessary money? Which job do you need to live here?

I didn't know gays are prevalent in the Villages. I heard that they mainly live in Chelsea. It's clear that they're not the first example of people building up a family.

The quotations I talked about in my first message, are from represents of William B. May: a company that provides market and neighborhood information. You would think they know what's happening in areas. But if nobody can confirm their opinions, I don't know if I'm gonna use them for my article.
Loved your descriptions KM, and yours too Sebastian. Hope today you get more info. I am in Colorado, so cannot help you.
Re: Last try: questions about Green Wich and East Village
May 23, 2005 04:23PM
This is just an idea. If you are so pressed for a deadline there is another site you might want to try. I know there is one guy that visits it that has been in Greenwich Village for a while. He is a professor at NYU I believe. [www.tripadvisor.com]. It is a forum for people planning trips to NYC but is frequented by many NY'ers that will be willing to put in their two cents. Also if you allow them to email you their ideas it might be better. While this forum is perfect for what you are trying to do that one is more geared towards tourist things. I am sure some of the regulars will be willing to contribute to your survey. NewYorkCityJerry is the name of the gentlemen that lives in Greenwich Village. Hope this helps. I fall into the category of those too poor to live south of Midtown. However the location is perfect so the rents are higher. I will just have to settle for dreaming of being able to live there someday.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 21?
Online Users

Guests: 6