Moving!!

Posted by Maryann 
Moving!!
May 05, 2005 02:35PM
I am trying to plan a move to the city, it there anyone who has moved there from another state that can tell me what the best order is? Do you get a job or apartment first? Its kind of a catch 22. Any Suggestions? Also any suggestions of areas to stay away from as far as an apartment? Thanks so much
Re: Moving!!
May 05, 2005 03:13PM
Maryann, go to Search Answers, type in apartment for All Dates and you will find a lot of help.

The best thing would be to sublet a place until you know where you want to live, and where you will be working. Then you can find the perfect place. Good Luck!

From where you are now, go to craigslist.com or sublet.com
May 05, 2005 03:29PM
I just moved from Upstate NY last December. I personally being the conservative type would rather have a job in hand. You will be able to find an apt in the city. It might not be perfect but here in the city most people don't stay in one apt their whole time living here (unless they live here short term). I got my job and was able to pick my apt according to an easy commute. I got lucky with Craigslist and got a great deal on a great apt. I would say don't assume you will be able to find a job here (unless you have had several calls offering jobs of course). I would tackle that first then with a start date given you can start your apt search. Subletting will definitely work if you can't find a place first. Become a craigslist addict once you need a place. Worse comes to worse you can always pay a brokers fee. While apts are difficult to find apts are always available. Pay attention to how far the subway and staples (ie grocery store, gym, laundromat, video store) are. It would be horrible being far from civilization, lugging groceries you will not want to be further than 5 blocks. That will get irritating really quick. If you find a place you like give us a shout here, someone will know the area and be able to help you.
Maryann
May 07, 2005 10:00AM
Thank for the suggestions. I will be back when I find a few places to compare!!
maryann
May 12, 2005 03:48PM
Just trying to compare a little, what is the neighborhood "Stuyvesant Heights" in Brooklyn like? Safe? I know you have to watch the areas there....
Kelly M
May 13, 2005 06:54AM
hi Maryann,
I am going to start a new thread about Stuyvesant Heights, so our expert Red will see it, he'll for sure know about this neighborhood. Something tells me it's not such a nice area, though. look for the other thread.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 17 plus 24?
Online Users

Guests: 6