NYU no sports?

Posted by Student 
Student
NYU no sports?
March 07, 2005 10:17AM
I've been thinking about attending NYU. I"m just wondering why they don't have a basketball team? or even a football team? I know New Yorkers already have the knicks,which barely exist, and the New York Jets that play in Jersey...and I think NYU has a golf team...maybe even a fencing team...maybe they have a basketball team their just so bad you never hear about them. I don't know.
Red
Re: NYU no sports?
March 07, 2005 12:29PM
NYU has a basketball team:

[www.nyuathletics.com]

NYU is a division 3 school because they've decided to spend their money on education, rather than athletics. Our metro area has two professional basketball teams, two professional football teams, two baseball teams, two hockey teams, a women's basketball team, three minor league baseball teams ... jeez, what else do you need?

Seriously, it's pretty much a received fact in NY education circles that there's such a wealth of professional sports here in the NYC area that there's no room for prominent college sports teams in terms of TV play and advertising revenue.
March 07, 2005 05:51PM
Are we not forgetting the college bball teams at St John's and Manhattan to name just a few ?
Red
March 07, 2005 07:51PM
True, but even they aren't of the prominence of the big college programs in cities/states that have no professional sports.
Elly
March 09, 2005 05:14AM
Fordham has the Rams (football) -- 3 of their players graduated to sign NFL contracts this past year. Fordham probably has the best facilities for team practice since their main campus is in the Bronx.
Krissi
March 09, 2005 04:35PM
NYU's women's basketball was topnotch in Division 3 when I went to NYU not long ago. However, our horsback riding and fencing squads Olympic level, and the best from around the world go to NYU for it, believe it or not. I hear our gymnastics is pretty good too, but not Olympic level.

As for the Knicks, NYC is actually the second highest market for basketball next to Los Angeles. Sacramento I think is 3rd, but don't quote me on that. It's VERY expensive to go to a game here (I got the worst tickets ands spend close to $150 for each). Just look at NBA games on TV. The stadium is full of people. Compare that to a market like Atlanta, where tickets top out at around $35 and there is never a full stadium. Just because the Knicks currently suck, doesn't mean NYC doesn't love its basketball!

The Jets and Giants are big for football, and of course the Mets and Yankees for baseball. Hockey isn't too big over here, but we do have the Islanders and Devils, and people more or less root for whoever is doing better.

There's not a lot of room to play sports, and sports aren't huge in Manhattan schools because of this (although basketball is an exception). In the buroughs, there is a bit more variety, and other sports tend to be more popular.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 14?
Online Users

Guests: 7